Thread: World Map Experimentation

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Post World Map Experimentation

This is my first attempt at doing a full-on 'hemispheric' world map. This is still fairly early on; I haven't fine-tuned the hemisphere outlines yet, and (obviously) I need to put some labelling in and I'm going to add a bunch of artwork to the corners of the page.

Another thought I had was to put some clouds in, but I can't figure out a way to keep the 'cloud cover' from totally obscuring the continental outlines. Any suggestions on how I could get an effective cloud layer?

And any other comments/criticisms/etc?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WorldMapZ1 copy.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	902.1 KB 
ID:	18801  

that's looking pretty cool! maybe you could use a sphere-transformation or add some 'sphere lat/long grid' to make it look a little more like a projected globe. As for clouds, I think its a cool idea and could work. To create it in PS you can use a render-cloud filter, after that use the 'difference cloud' filter multiple times to get more detail. After that, remove the blackish colors using selection based on color, what you have left then is grey/white clouds that look pretty ok with a little opacity). Of course there's also some decent free-to-personal-use cloud-maps downloadable from the web that have more realism like storms etc... (e.g. at shadedrelief.com). cheers

Cool! Thanks for the suggestions. I'd thought about putting some lat/long lines in there; I'll drop them in and post a version with so you guys can see how it looks.

Update:

1. Smoothed out the hemispheric borders and toned down their color.

2. Did some labelling (it's under the clouds; does that work, or should I move text above the clouds?).

3. Added clouds.

Next up, I'm going to try to figure out how to put some convincing lat/long lines in there. I can kind of halfway see how one would do it, using the spherize filter in PS, but I'll have to experiment with it to see exactly how it works...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WorldMapZ2.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	877.3 KB 
ID:	18822  

Beautiful map. The clouds turned out extremely well. I was thinking of transparent clouds as a way to avoid obscuring the map, but I didn't realise it could look so awesome.

As for Lat/Long lines, why not just copy them from a two-hemisphere projection of Earth?

The border and land text colour looks way too yellow to me. Add some red and decrease the saturation to make it more gold.