Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ascadia - A Fantasy World

Post Ascadia - A Fantasy World

This is a map I finished earlier this summer, with a WIP here. The author of the book has given me permission to post it here, so long as an notice of copyright and place name ownership is provided. He also agreed to the CG reference in the map.

This was created in B&W using my standard Gimp->Inkscape circular workflow. The forests were created with the help of my random density map script and custom Gimp brushes. Everything was from scratch for this one. Final colourizing was done using Gimp and (thank goodness for) my trusty Wacom tablet.

The following work is Copyright Protected by Rob Antonishen. This image may not be downloaded, copied, linked to, or edited in any manner or form for use on any website, image gallery, clipart collection, printed product, or other derivative uses without express written permission from the artist, except as specifically permitted under the posting terms and conditions of the Cartographers' Guild website. All place-names on this map are wholly the property of Soren Kristensen, and may not be used for any purposes except for referencing place-names for promotional or review purposes, without express written permission.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ascadia_final_colourize_July5_09.jpg 
Views:	3407 
Size:	2.36 MB 
ID:	17277

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Looks fantastic. Well done. I'm really pleased you were able to post the final!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

That is some seriously good stuff Rob! Bravo! *BONK*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Nice map. Looks like it will print well too.

S

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

Yeah, that's purdy. I really like the varied tree styles and the way you made the border go behind the mountains (nice touch). I also dig the "coastline squiggles" (that's a technical term, I believe). The terrain in Brennador is super-cool. I want to set adventures there, or play in one.

I shall attempt to rep you for this evocative map! And I'll probably, some day, steal your really cool rift valley concept.
    M

I'm the author of the novel, and the creator of Ascadia, and I once again want to express how fantastic Rob has been to work with in making my world come to life. I'm genuinely astounded by how well it turned out, and by the patience he's shown in the process with him and I going back and forth in making the map.

It's better than I could ever have envisioned, and just hope that my novels and world can live up to their end of the partnership.

Tremendous work, my friend.

Blog Entries

Beautifully done Rob!

Great map, i should learn how to make new textures like this ones. XD

My work is under CC licences, you can see wich one apply in the work itself, if there is no CC logo, you can assume is an: Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported licence

Need more rights, just mail me and we can chat about it.

Guild Member

Great looking map. I wish it had a scale for distance (miles, leagues, other).

Quote Originally Posted by vgunn View Post
    Great looking map. I wish it had a scale for distance (miles, leagues, other).
    Yeah. A scale was not wanted.

For reference, it is supposed to be about the size of Australia:

-Rob A>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast