Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sep/Oct Lite - Sacrifice Hill

Guild Journeyer

Post Sep/Oct Lite - Sacrifice Hill

This is my initial concept of a Druidic/wild sacrificial mound. I am not sure of the colors or the hill but i would appreciate any feed back. This is the first base draft. I plan on adding a path and adding other natural elements.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sachill.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	3.05 MB 
ID:	17281

Muhahaha, im gonna steal your hill!!!

My work is under CC licences, you can see wich one apply in the work itself, if there is no CC logo, you can assume is an: Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported licence

Need more rights, just mail me and we can chat about it.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

It's looking pretty good, I think the shadows may need some work.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer

Please take my hill

Seriously I keep trying to make hills and i just don't like the style maybe i need more contour lines or something.

Also what shadows was the issue the ones on the hill or the stone slab?

I think the texture in the background is to green for my tastes i keep blending it but i am not sure about it.
    Last edited by Xyll; 10-01-2009 at 11:45 PM. Reason: addtional comments

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

i think the hill looks not too bad, it just needs less of an extreme edge between contours. maybe ripple/jiggle/whatever the edges a bit on each layer..

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

The shadows on the slab/altar are a bit heavy (for my taste), and I think Coyotemax nailed what I was thinking regarding the rest of it, but failed to mention.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer

Made some change with the hill , added to the slab, added path and blood. I think this is a pretty good start but i think the edges need some attention and i am not sure what should go their.

Maybe a firepit or some foliage maybe.
    Looking for advice thanks.

Name:	sachill2.PNG 
Views:	72 
Size:	3.35 MB 
ID:	17317

Looks great so far. Here is a tip that, in my opinion, would really improve the hill: you should eliminate the "uniformity" of the slopes. This means that you should make one side of the hill steep, another side gentle, and another side somewhere in between. Mix it up. In order to look more natural, it needs more variation in slope steepness.

Examples to give you some ideas:
    http://www.prlc.net/PDFs/ByePreserve06.pdf
    http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Co...g_6a.widec.jpg
    http://www.sacred-destinations.com/e...aerial-tor.jpg

Edit: Have you thought about making it a battle map (with square or hexagonal grid)? It seems to be the right scale, if you want to try that. If you choose to do that, here is a helper: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=hexagonal%20grid
    Last edited by Avulsion; 10-02-2009 at 03:50 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Uniformity, great eye Avulsion. I couldn't put my finger on it but you did.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Journeyer

So here are a few alterations i tried to bleed out some of the solid edges to reduce the uniformity. I also added the pentagram I am not sure if it works and i am thinking of either blending it more or enhancing it a more of a shine not sure yet which direction. Or if I should use it at all I just feel this needs something more to it and i am still not sure what.

Name:	sachill2.PNG 
Views:	105 
Size:	3.38 MB 
ID:	17409

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast