Thread: WIP - Almaera (fantasy map)

Wip WIP - Almaera (fantasy map)

Well, I did post this map in my intro thread, but hey! Hi. I'm primarily an artist and not a geologist. (Today I have learned more about rivers than I ever needed to know.) This is my first attempt at a digital map.

I designed the original map of Almaera when I was fourteen... and yesterday for some reason I decided I needed to make a good version of the original sketchy map. So I set out to find a tutorial for how to make a nice fantasy map instead of a pencil sketch. Suffice it to say I ran into Jezelf's tutorials. And well...

Hours later...

I had a map! An unfinished map. With apparently messed up rivers. I tried to fix them... so here are two WIPS. One is the flat colors with my attempts to fix the rivers and clarify the state borders (I figure it's easier to see that way if someone wants to critique them) and the other is with the textures put back on with my river fix. If you want to see the old rivers, it's on my welcome thread post.

Anyway, this is the map WIP for the northern continent of Almaera. I'm pretty happy with the way the texturing and mountains are coming out, I'm just mainly concerned about the rivers and well, does it make sense to look at, etc... I don't want to get into the nitty-gritty details until I'm happy with the basic layout. I figured I'd get the expert opinion. Feel free to red-line.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flatcolorsriverfixing.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	166.8 KB 
ID:	17297   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	almaeramapwipriverfix.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	268.6 KB 
ID:	17298  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Coming along quite nicely...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Looks great so far.

My one river exception would be the river that runs from the south up to Ulstasa from Tal Hess as it goes through a mountain range. Not that it's impossible, it just seems unlikely that the section of the mountains is lower than the plains to the south.

Otherwise it looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Looks great so far.

My one river exception would be the river that runs from the south up to Ulstasa from Tal Hess as it goes through a mountain range. Not that it's impossible, it just seems unlikely that the section of the mountains is lower than the plains to the south.

Otherwise it looks good.
    There's supposed to be a massive crater/canyony thing there from a catacalysmic event in the past, with a lake in it... I guess I'll have to find a better way to convey it. Maybe if I take out some mountains and draw some sort of rocky ledgy thing instead?

Thanks for the positive words!