Thread: Planet experiments

Post Planet experiments

Nothing much to see, just made some planets on a whim.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	planetattempt.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	255.0 KB 
ID:	17300   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	planetattempt2.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	620.4 KB 
ID:	17301  

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

How did you get those landforms? They've got some great shapes to them, very convincing (to me anyhow)

I like the water on the first one better, even with the clouds overtop.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

For these I took a cloud render (with difference clouds on it a couple of times), upped the contrast on it to 100% and took a circle selection to an area that looked good and deleted the rest, but that's because I didn't much care the landmasses looked like. The other way I do it is how Ascension does it, cloud render on one layer, 50% gray fill on a second layer on top of it. Set the 50% gray layer to hard mix, and then you can paint white or black to shape the landmasses (Ascension paints the cloud render I think, but I find it more useful to paint on the 50% gray layer so that you can redo bits of land over and over again without destroying the cloud render).

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Ah yes. Well, they worked out well for your planets I was just wondering if you'd come up with yet another way!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Heh, I've come up with many ways, but none that were any better :p

Guild Adept

Nicely done. I have done some experimentation with planet making based originally off of Ascension's tutorial. I like your water too. Not sure if there is a better way to make clouds. I tend to run a couple of Difference Clouds renders on multiple layers and play with the Layer Type (Screen, Hard Light, etc). My biggest difficulty is coming up with believable land. The land shapes are easy, but the terrain features are not so easy.

More screwing around. I'm not sure why I'm working on these other than that it's 2 am, I can't sleep and this is something to do.

I can't get the glow to look right, but I need to get to sleep. Maybe I'll try to fix it later, heh.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	planetnebulamoonsun.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	815.2 KB 
ID:	17437  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Doing these are fun, aren't they? I love doing them. I like that green gas cloud/nebula thing...nice.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Wow I didn't know you had a tutorial on planets too, might have saved me some trouble if I'd seen that first, hah.