Thread: Ancient Roman Revolving Restaurant

Post Ancient Roman Revolving Restaurant

( LINK )
    The purported main dining room, with a diameter of over 50 feet (16 meters), rested upon a 13-foot (4-meter) wide pillar and four spherical mechanisms that, likely powered by a constant flow of water, rotated the structure.
    Pretty awesome

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

That's kind of a cool find, even if Nero was a colossal jerk.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

That's a pretty cool find. As for Nero's reputation, I take it with a grain of salt. A lot of his reputation was based on Suetonius' The Twelve Caesars. Suetonius is known for using hearsay and political propaganda in his work (especially if an emperor was too Hellenized in his pursuits).
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Don't ask about the thought progression, but I wondered what sort of sense of humour the Romans had... google of course knows all and the answer is that it's not too far from our own. LINK

I liked this one:

Beard's favourite joke is a version of the Englishman, Irishman, Scotsman variety, with a barber, a bald man and an absent-minded professor taking a journey together. They have to camp overnight, so decide to take turns watching the luggage. When it's the barber's turn, he gets bored, so amuses himself by shaving the head of the professor. When the professor is woken up for his shift, he feels his head, and says "How stupid is that barber? He's woken up the bald man instead of me."

Believe it or not, I once did a course on Ancient Humour (mostly Classical Greek stuff - at the time I was studying to be an archaeologist but life took me in a completely different direction). One style of humour was common back then now, was fart jokes. They show up in Aristophanes' comedy, The Frogs. The slave asks his master should he tell the usual jokes. His master says no and then the slave says, what about __insert joke here__ . The slave ends up going through the whole list and of course by mentioning them, he ends up telling the jokes anyways. We also covered the humour that was in The Odyssey. Fun stuff (pun slightly intended).
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx