Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do not let this happen to you.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Post Do not let this happen to you.

It's so easy to fall out of touch with friends in this day and age.
    you take for granted that they will always be there, and that at some point you'll get back in touch, and things will go back to the way they were.
    Do Not Trust That It Will Happen.
    Get back in touch now. And keep in touch, even if it's just quick emails once a week or two. I assumed one of my best friends would be around forever and that we'd always be able to laugh and joke around - after all, we'd fallen out of touch briefly before and went back to our friendship like no time had ever passed.
    Then recently I found out she'd passed away. To me, this was like a physical punch to the gut. How could this have happened? how could I not have known?
    Easy. We fell out of touch.
    So if there's a friend you haven't spoken to in a while, fire off an email, make a phone call, write a letter, drop by their house. Don't let this happen to you. As sure as you are that nothing will change, or that nothing will happen, it can. medical emergencies come up, car accidents, broken limbs, house fires, any number of things could happen. Don't let your last memory be "talk to you next week" and then find out 12 months later you'll never get the chance to talk to them again.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Wow, I'm sorry to hear about your friend.

I have a few I need to get back in touch with, just to let them know I care. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Blog Entries

Yeah, real sorry to hear your story CM. I have several friends who I have lost touch with yet it would take little more than a call or an e-mail to re-establish contact.
    Thanks for the kick up the arse. I'm going to do it.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I talk to my friends just about every day...they're all here Yeah, I'm one of those loner dudes...except for here.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Sorry to hear about your friend C-max...

My friends are to spread out (all over the world), but I try my best to keep in touch.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks for the comments.

It just hit me really hard that this could have been avoided just by the occasional note or phone call, and I would have been able to head down in person to offer extra support.

Well, if someone else can avoid that and learn from my mistake, I'll feel a bit better.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Im sorry to hear about it...

Im gonna do some calls...

My work is under CC licences, you can see wich one apply in the work itself, if there is no CC logo, you can assume is an: Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported licence

Need more rights, just mail me and we can chat about it.

Sorry to hear about your friend, Coyotemax. Your post reminded me that I should call a friend of mine that I haven't talked to in a couple years.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Blog Entries

It is the irony of life that we always learn the wisdom we need at precisely the moment that it becomes too late. My condolences to you CM.

thanks for the kind words everyone. Really the point was "go and catch up before it's too late" more than "feel sorry for me", but I appreciate the sentiment (i hope that statement didn't come off wrong, it can be difficult to word things liek that for me)

As an update, while I've been getting in touch with others from my own past to catch up and say hi - i found another formerly close friend has passed away. So this process has a very sharp double edged sword.

Passage of time - 2
    Coyotemax - 0

My finished maps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast