Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New World Map

Wip New World Map

I owe huge debts to Handsome Rob for his tutorials and Joe Slayton and Profantasy Software for Fractal Terrains.

This is the beginnings of a world map for my gaming. Every attempt is being made to treat this like accuracy matters.

This is the first rough look.

Taking very rough estimates, its clear this world is actually bigger than Earth. (attachment 2 is very roughly to scale). In design goals that means that the southern coast of the northern continent is at least as long as the coast of Northern Europe. The middle continent is a third again bigger than Australia and the westernmost continent is comparable in area to North and South America in combined.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sigurdia-2.jpg 
Views:	419 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	17335   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sigurdia-scale.jpg 
Views:	672 
Size:	249.4 KB 
ID:	17336  
    Last edited by Sigurd; 10-03-2009 at 04:13 AM.

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks like you have quite the work load ahead of you.

Neat-looking continental shapes, I'll hold any more comments until you're a bit further along.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks!

I have to confess to picking my maps solely for neat shapes and story potential. FT is great letting me cycle through 50+ maps looking for the right one.
    I try to do as little 'creation' as possible. I like discovery from random generation - it feels more genuine.

- Adjusted the world circumference to be the same as Earth. This has no visible affects right now but I'm trying to get really basic measurements right in the model before I invest in making it pretty.
    Last edited by Sigurd; 10-03-2009 at 01:19 PM.

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

Wip Still playing around in the macro level

I am trying to avoid fiddly bits as much as possible. The idea is that I get a workpath that will work with different pieces and zoom levels for the world.

This is the current physical layer. It's scaled to a polite size.

Added the poles. I think they make the map feel more real.

I don't really know how to deal with a scale. hmmm

s

Name:	Sigurdia-PHYS-SMALL.png 
Views:	801 
Size:	835.3 KB 
ID:	17457   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sigurdia-PHYS-Ice-SMALL.png 
Views:	3507 
Size:	732.9 KB 
ID:	17458  
    Last edited by Sigurd; 10-06-2009 at 07:13 PM.

--- Sigurd

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks nice, good colors.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Post Accuracy

I'm working for realism in this project. All crits are welcome.

What do people think of this projection for a game map?

I'm not slandering the classic square map shape but I couldn't put a scale on it when the real distance between the lines of longitude varied by %100. The polar regions looked far bigger than they should be.

Would this feel too modern for you in an RPG?

s

Name:	Sigurdia-Wag7-phys-small.png 
Views:	3632 
Size:	715.6 KB 
ID:	17465  
    Last edited by Sigurd; 10-06-2009 at 11:56 PM.

--- Sigurd

I think it's really really cool!

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

i think it looks pretty nice like that. For an RPG I might square off a border around it, but the projection is fine.

on closer look, if you're going for realism, the rivers don't look right, from this disance you don't really see that many that clearly from what I recall.
    Last edited by Coyotemax; 10-07-2009 at 03:48 AM.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

I'm less worried about looking too modern and more worried about how that projection makes it more difficult to make some shapes out. That northern continent looks too stretched, I think.

Thanks for the comments

Rivers

The rivers are not optimized yet and I've added no lakes. That's still on the agenda. I'm just trying to keep as much data as I can in Fractal Terrains so that I can zoom and slice without reworking too much. Part of the goal of this is to make the world usable with less constant and inaccurate fiddling.

Northern Continent

You think its stretched? The flat square map widens the northern continent tremendously. When I put it on a globe its much smaller?

Last edited by Sigurd; 10-07-2009 at 03:32 PM.

--- Sigurd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast