Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laramis, at Long Last

Blog Entries

Post Laramis, at Long Last

I "finished" this map some time ago, after two WIP threads and lots of advice from lots of helpful people. It was created as a campaign map for my friend Greg. I turned it over to him and he sat on it for a month, then got it back to me last week. Sadly, I cannot walk away from a map for a month or so and not feel compelled to fix half of it.

The first WIP thread didn't really go anywhere, but not for lack of effort. I was stuck in an experimental phase of my self-education and tried a lot of things that didn't please me. Essentially, I wanted to find a good symbolic style after having done quite a few satellite maps and wasn't hitting the note for one reason or the other.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...hlight=laramis

Eventually, I was rescued by a challenge and left it alone. When I returned, I was so dissatisfied with everything on the map that I simply scrapped it and restarted.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...hlight=laramis

This time, I was looking for results, not technique, and the progress was much more satisfactory. I still got wrapped around the axle on mountains, which have always been my bete noir (along with a lot of other folks, I know), but I eventually came upon a bevel technique that allowed me to hand-craft the mountains and still keep them fairly realistic. It was important that I be able to create them where I wanted them and in the orientation I wanted them because I was trying to match the original for placement and purpose. "The Spine" on the western edge is supposed to be functionally impassable, and I think I managed to accomplish that believably.

So after a month of waiting for mark-ups from Greg, I got the map back and quickly decided that I needed to redo the cities, which were inspired by Ascension's Jasmine Coast map. They still are, but are less like them now. I also completely redid the lables which I was unhappy with in retrospect. I added some toys and reinvented the forests which were originally understated to the point of looking like a stain.

The map has become slow to work with because of the sheer number of layers, so it is good that it feels done. I hope you enjoy it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laramis2.jpg 
Views:	1493 
Size:	4.57 MB 
ID:	17364

I certainly enjoy it! You made some nice improvements on the last version I saw. The gold title looks great!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

fwiw, the Estuary Police give the discerning nod of approval!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Love your city walls Nice job, man. Wanted to rep ya but I can't so I owe ya one.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very nice, only what is the cyan colored 'stuff' in the upper-left?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Very nice. I like the different images along the bottom too. Good work.

Blog Entries

SG: Silk, fresh out of the worm. Slightly processed.
    Last edited by Immolate; 10-04-2009 at 12:50 PM.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

There is a very nice style to this. Excellent map, man.

I, too, however, get a Fail on the "Spread-the-rep-around" game, though you deserve some here.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Very nice. The details are subtle and very rich. I'm reppin' that.
    My debut novel, The Final Warden is available on Amazon.com in paperback and on Kindle.

Please visit my blog for more information about my writing and my art

Please visit my sketchbook on Conceptart.org
    TomCardin

Blog Entries

Thanks a lot everyone for the encouragement!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast