Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WIP untitled world in another style

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    My first thought is that the trees are all too big and the mountains are spaced too far apart. I know that putting them closer together will result in overlap and create problems of its own. That's why it's better to draw your mountains in by hand instead of using brushes. It takes time to learn that skill so until you do you'll have to put your mountains on numerous layers and erase the parts that overlap...a process that will take almost as long as drawing them by hand. We use lots of professional words here and "squiggly" is a big one
    An alternative to drawing totally by hand (which I recommend as good practice by the way.. see my sig link) Is to fins some brushes that have full color as part of the brush itself. Unfortunately, this leaves PS out since it's brushes all work as greyscale versions while GIMP allows full color brushes. Though I have not made a full map from scratch and posted, I have played around with a few brushes I made and you can quickly and easily get something nice as long as your willing to go back in and add a bit of clean up time after the fact. Eventually, I will get back to making up my mountains brush pack for GIMP.... perhaps it's time to start working on it again....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Novice

Hi Adanvo!
    I like the new version much more, nice work. Especially I fell in love with Seanril Island, don't know why
    And I like the continuity of the mountains between land masses.

Well, I'm not professional, but here's what I would change:
    - the palm trees are too near to the coast and too crowded, I'd leave more space between them;
    - I'd enlarge the width of the map to leave more sea right and left, and write "Dunkle See" with some orientation, instead of plain vertical;
    - I'd add some textures or patterns to make the map feeling more "real"

Hope I've been helpful
    ciao ciao,
    katoblepa

Adanvo, if you are looking for an "antique hand-drawn" style map, then your fonts aren't really a good fit and you should try source the "original colours".

You are looking for classic ink colours, Prussian Blue, Cobalt Blue, Vermillion, India Black Ink, etc. They can be a pain in the butt to replicate but VERY much worth it.

Another thought is that your fonts really aren't quite right. You want fonts that potentially come from the "Etching/Engraving" categories and the "Seriously Embellished Calligraphy". Most maps have the Cartouche with important names (location & person who paid me to make it) in very elaborate fonts; the locations tend to change font only for the important places (Major Ports, Capital Cities, Nations).

If you google for 1500's maps you tend to get good examples. Also consider the "exploratory maps" of the mid-to-late 1400s. These will include things such as Columbus' Voyage to the Americas.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Thanks guys, i will try to work on most of your ideas and post a revised version as soon as possible.

Wip

I now worked on the first little things:
    - played a bit with colors and color-overlays
    - added some details
    - added some space at the left and right map side
    - builded a frame around for more details later
    - tried a new font

Waht do you think about the new things: keep them or go back? or maybe do it another way?

Thank you for your help so far!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AlteKarteVers2b.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	19611  

Wip

Hi there,

i´m back after a long while...and i tried another version of the Eloviath (formerly untitled) Map.
    So i´m looking forward to your suggestions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KarteVers4 copy.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	31510

Reminds me of Azeroth (World Of Warcraft).
    Yesterday today was tomorrow.
    My deviantart: http://darkaiz.deviantart.com/

1. This:
    Quote Originally Posted by Aenigma View Post
    Reminds me of Azeroth (World Of Warcraft).
    2. Your western continent/s look fine, but the eastern one is just a big blob that's missing a chunk. It doesn't look right. Continents don't come in that shape.
    3. You don't get big stretches of mountain the way your have on the western continent. It just doesn't happen.
    4. Your rivers are very visibly a different colour to the ocean/lakes. Also, they should be below the terrain features, not above them. Rivers don't float.
    5. What is the deal with that "Nebellander" area? It's sparkly and white and the sparkles cover the mountains a bit.
    6. Your forests (dark green ones) don't make sense. Coniferous and deciduous trees don't mix.

Sorry if I seem a bit harsh there. 'nuff said.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I can see what your going for and the map has a very nice look to it. I especially like your forests
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by VincentAlliath View Post
    16. Your forests (dark green ones) don't make sense. Coniferous and deciduous trees don't mix.
    As someone whose stepfather was a logger and who has spent many months working on a logging crew, I would decidedly disagree with this statement. In fact, both types of trees CAN in fact exist within the same forest. The further north/south you go from the equator(assuming an earth like world), the conifers tend to take over. Likewise, conifers tend to dominate at higher altitudes.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast