Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Inn of the Laughing Giant

Post The Inn of the Laughing Giant

I'm working on an old school adventure/source book that I plan on self-publishing. It is based on a town located in the valley of a mountain pass. This town is a merchant hub as traders pass through the mountain pass. One of the town's busy spots is the Inn of the Smiling Giant. I won't be adding a legend and room numbers until I finalize the write-up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	laughing_giant_inn1-1.jpg 
Views:	503 
Size:	198.4 KB 
ID:	17404 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	laughing_giant_inn2-1.jpg 
Views:	412 
Size:	374.2 KB 
ID:	17405

The inn owner's grandfather was an adventurer who killed a hill giant and had him stuffed and magically preserved. The "smiling giant" is on display in the main common room (the star symbol). The ceiling of this room is very high to accommodate the size of the stuffed giant. The smell from the privy (ground level left hand corner) is kept under control via a minor magical item (also found by the owner's adventuring grandfather).

I have many more maps to draw and info to write before this project is finished but I thought I would share the maps of the inn.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Dude, that's cool. I love the hay, never thought of doing it like that, sweet.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

The straw was created with the Grass 1 option from the Custom Shape Tool (Photoshop 7). Isn't it amazing how the little things can add the right amount of atmosphere to a map. I also plan on adding some more details to the caverns but I need to work out my general plan for the area.

This is just one building out of many. I plan on detailing a few more for the project I'm working on (at least two temples, a general store, a Dwarven Mining Company outpost, and the thieves guild). Then there will be the town map and then the regional map. I started the regional map (with hand drawn mountain peaks and hills so far) but I decided to start small and then work out from there. That way I'll know the shape of the specific buildings before I go to map the town.

This is a big project and doing the maps is the easiest part. Getting the writing done - that's a different matter.
    Cheers,
    Tim

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Cool stuff here Turgenev!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

That's a really clean map. It's great.

Thanks guys. My other work took me away from mapping for a bit so it is good to be back at it. I'll be doing a detailed legend once I finish all of the maps. Off hand, the symbols that might not be obvious at first glance is a shelf at the wall behind the bar and in the room to the left of the bar. In the room with the barrels are some sacks. In the cellar there is a room with snowflake symbols. That is the cold room for perishables (the low temperature is aided with the help of magic).
    Cheers,
    Tim

Good Job!

Looks like the Harn maps - very old school.

S

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

Here are a lot of people who like old school maps, you are gonna have lots of fans.

My work is under CC licences, you can see wich one apply in the work itself, if there is no CC logo, you can assume is an: Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported licence

Need more rights, just mail me and we can chat about it.

Thanks Sigurd. The Harn maps have always been one of my major influences (especially the town/city maps).

Zenram, I have a feeling that I'm known around here and other parts of the web as the 'Old School Map Guy.'
    Last edited by Turgenev; 10-07-2009 at 01:44 AM.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Then it's "You have a lot of old-school fans". XD

My work is under CC licences, you can see wich one apply in the work itself, if there is no CC logo, you can assume is an: Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported licence

Need more rights, just mail me and we can chat about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast