Thread: The tough start

Guild Apprentice

Wip The tough start

That is my... third map created. The previous two were utter crap and I won't post them here. This one... well, I know I screwed the rivers. And I don't know how to add forests (I might be blind, but I simply cannot find those tuts). Still, its a test before going for the continent (that'll be hard, at least 10kx10k). And anybody has an idea how to create cliffs inland?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test2.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	3.15 MB 
ID:	17406

okay for forests there are two great styles you can use

Pasis' style which can be found in his tut here, the full tut is on page 5
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...?t=4405&page=5

Or you can use ascension's style here http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2313

I personally use ascension's style but I've being experimenting a lot with it of late. Both styles are open to experimentation.

also, sorry if i broke any rules for posting links to other people's stuff

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like it, but then, I'm biased Rivers look fine to me. As for cliffs, I've only made one experiment on that, for my Godslayer map of the Escarpment in the Belgariad. I didn't pull it off too well but I have a new idea beginning to form. If you come up with something then, please, let me know
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

The thing that jump out at me is lakes. You have a lot of lakes, which is fine, but water goes into lakes from somewhere, and water has to leave a lake somewhere. When you talk about lakes that are large enough to be seen on a continental map, that's a lot of water and results in a significant river draining away the excess. One rule to keep in mind regarding the flow of water, although it can be violated under certain circumstances, it seldom is: rivers don't like to flow close to a lake or sea without draining. The reason for this is that soil, the medium that establishes the flow of water across dry land, is continuously changing in response to that flow. Eventually, unless there is a formidable barrier between a river and a lake or sea, a channel will be cut. Once the shortest path is established, it is unlikely that a longer path will later come out ahead until the deposition of silt at the mouth of the river fundamentally changes the distances involved.

Over the eons, all shortcuts are found. Since shortcuts, once found, are seldom relinquished, it makes sense that few exceptions exist outside of those areas where active reformation is underway.

Good luck with your project. Good stuff!

My favorite part of the map are those underwater cliffs near the coasts. It seems to be one of the themes of a map based on the Ascension tutorials. Where is the tutorial that teaches one how to do that?

Blog Entries

It's in Ascension's atlas tutorial and they are the continental shelf. If you look at Google Earth, you'll see them in real life.

Guild Apprentice

Thanks for the trees, I'll start working with them with my next map

As for cliffs... hell, I don't even know where to begin with. Get some mountains, erase the high ones, add emboss to the low ones, "flat" them (transform tool)? Maybe it'll work...

As for the rivers and lakes! I must have missed that fact with rivers flowing closely to lakes, so thanks for pointing that out, but I really can't agree that a lake has to have a river entering and leaving it. I know a few lakes that are "stand-alone". It's hard for me to explain stuff when english is not your first language.

Sometime today I'll try to post some of my next, larger project

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

First off... Welcome Aboard!

I like it so far. The rivers look fine to me as well. For the cliffs maybe some kind of modification to the 'continental shelf' process would work. Been a while since I looked at that so not sure whether it would be workable or not.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.