Thread: Dainnnoprai

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Dainnnoprai

Fooling around with my WordBuilder extension for InkScape. Here's a map with a bunch of names. Also trying to figure out a good way to make maps with InkScape. Fractalize path is good to me

I guess Dainnnoprai could mean Starland.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dainnnoprai.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	2.61 MB 
ID:	17412  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Interesting, pronouncing some of these almost sound Hindu-ish to me.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I think I sprained my tongue trying to pronounce some of them
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I think the program should possibly be renamed "The Word Gymnast"... because I'm not shabby with pronunciations and a few of those looked like some kind of Welsh Dictionary Explosion...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I just had a thought and I have no idea how hard it would be to do but here it is. Instead of using actual letters to make words why not try using sounds instead (like in the dictionary where it shows pronunciation)? Then use those sounds as sort of a key to how the letters would be, possibly using more than one set of letters for each sound. Sort of like the long e sound in "screen" can be spelled ie, ei, ea, ee, etc. The hard c in "card" can be spelled cc, ch, ck, qu, etc. The program generates sounds, puts various sounds together (depending on a user input for syllables), and then generates possible spellings. If it were really cool then maybe the program could use certain language preset common sounds (like "ikki" for polynesian or 'esque" for french) as tag-ons at the end.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Ascension: Yeah, that's actually what it does - you define tokens, which can be one or more characters long. For these names, I made a simple syllable generator (making syllables like [C]V[C][C]), and it shows.

I think the worst it generates are the chch and ccc combinations, Sirdwiacccrairm being a good example, I guess. I decided that cc at the end of a syllable would be pronounced as x and felt pretty good about that. Sirdwiaxcrairm doesn't sound so bad. For the chch combos, I made the first soft like in loch or German ich, and the second hard like in chair.

I will make a better generator and throw in some new names. At least doing so is pretty easy. In fact, here, have some English-sounding names.

Edit: And one with more sensible, yet exotic, names
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	many names.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	17438   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	exotic.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	2.48 MB 
ID:	17443  
    Last edited by Alfar; 10-06-2009 at 05:50 AM.