Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canthar

Map Canthar

Hi everyone.

Here's my finished world map of Canthar, my 4e D&D campaign setting.

Also, Since I started the WIP thread for this map I've been working on a regional map of the Heroic tier campaign area, using and expanding on the techniques I used for the world map. This map is actually part of a full-sized map of Ithlond that I'm creating, and the image lost a bit of its crispness when I exported it to a jpg, but is otherwise okay (I think). So, I though I might as well post both for you.

Both maps were created using CC3.

Hope you all enjoy them.

DMG
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CantharWorldMapFinished.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	863.8 KB 
ID:	17414   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hm1_NortheasternIthlond.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	2.83 MB 
ID:	17415  

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Very nicely done! I'd have never guessed these were done in CC, way to push the limits of the software

I love the style and the setting is intriguing.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Indeed, this looks like Photoshop quality, so for you to say this was done in CC3 is certainly a surprise. Great looking maps!

My only critique: based on the sepia-toned map, it looks like continents are floating in the sky/void. The close-up map, though, suggests the continent sits in a standard ocean. It might be tricky, but can you do something with the ocean layer or what-have-you to differentiate the appearance there from that of the lakes (which I assume are actually water)?
    Last edited by Karro; 10-05-2009 at 11:10 AM.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

I agree with the others. Great work, wouldn't have guessed this was done in CC3.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nice work DMG!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Really nice maps. I was stunned when you said they were done in CC, I really wouldn't have been able to tell. Nicely done.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Thanks for all your kind comments, guys. I'm glad you're enjoying these maps.

Good observation, Karro. The continents do float in the sky, and you're spot on with your comments. I intend to do exactly what you're suggesting when I complete the whole continental map of Ithlond, but at the same time don't want to reveal to my players that they're actually on a floating continent until they reach paragon level. That's the reason I haven't done it yet, simply to hide character knowledge from player knowledge.

DMG

Blog Entries

I agree that you have achieved Gandwarfian levels of making CC3 sit up and beg. Like a rocket-powered wheelchair.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by DungeonMasterGaz View Post
    Thanks for all your kind comments, guys. I'm glad you're enjoying these maps.

Good observation, Karro. The continents do float in the sky, and you're spot on with your comments. I intend to do exactly what you're suggesting when I complete the whole continental map of Ithlond, but at the same time don't want to reveal to my players that they're actually on a floating continent until they reach paragon level. That's the reason I haven't done it yet, simply to hide character knowledge from player knowledge.

DMG
    Ahh, well that's certainly a valid explanation for that discrepancy. That's cool.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

I have to put my hands over a tutorial for this style.... What's your price XD

My work is under CC licences, you can see wich one apply in the work itself, if there is no CC logo, you can assume is an: Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported licence

Need more rights, just mail me and we can chat about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast