Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Google SketchUP......

WOW, Fister! That is truly inspirational!

So how long did it take you to "get your sea legs" in SketchUp? And how much time would you say it took you to do the tavern image? I want to use SketchUp too, but am afraid of taking yet one more program on...I still stink at the software I use now!!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Yumping Yimminy! That is totally Awesome Cool!

Gonna try my hand at this fer sure!

Thanx!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Post How much effort does it take to learn Sketchup

You can learn to create a series of building with standard architecture in relatively short order. Perhaps 3-4 hours. Sketchup like most programs has multiple ways to accomplish the same task. Reviewing the tutorial particularly the video variety is a very profitable way to maximize your time and learn to be more efficient.

The Inn took me many more hours than it should have because it was too ambitious an endeavor for just learning. I would hazard to guess 12-14 hours due to my ignorance mainly.
    "Rationality is the recognition of the fact that nothing can alter the truth and nothing can take precedence over that act of perceiving it."

Atlas Shrugged authored by Ayn Rand

Professional Artist

I've played with Sketchup a bit here and there. This is a work-in-progress I've been fooling around with when I'm in need of a break from Photoshop. The terrain was generated in Bryce 5.5.

I considered pouring a lot more detail into the buttresses, but I didn't figure they'd ever be seen all the closeup. Still have to come up with a window design that I like, then create some arrow slits and doors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WizardTower.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	929   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WizardTower-close.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	930  
    Butch Curry
    Zombie Nirvana Games
    http://www.zombienirvana.com

It's stuff like this that convices me a future application like SketchUp will revolutionize computer cartography. SketchUp itself is not that program, but one like it will be--one wherein the map and as many 3-D visualizations imaginable are created simultaneously.

For RPG players, tag that the above to the ability to move and pan around the map using a digital tabletop so players can actually see their surroundings as they walk through, say, a dungeon, and we are imagining the evolution of gaming. Very, very exciting to me.

Thanks for the inspiration, Butch!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Praise Terrific Wizard Tower

Very Cool, I am pleased to see someone else's Sketchup creation on the forum. Your detail work is inspirational to include your buttresses and cross motif. The gem like cap is great way to convey the magical potential of the structure. I look forward to the next time you post additional details to your wizards tower.
    "Rationality is the recognition of the fact that nothing can alter the truth and nothing can take precedence over that act of perceiving it."

Atlas Shrugged authored by Ayn Rand

I gotta see about getting the PDF printed out, so I can read up on how to use it.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    I gotta see about getting the PDF printed out, so I can read up on how to use it.
    Follow the video tutorials posted before (including the google one http://sketchup.google.com/tutorials.html )!

Trust me - they are a lot easier to glean ideas from than printed manuals.

-Rob A>
    Last edited by RobA; 03-25-2008 at 03:17 PM.

Professional Artist

Thanks all! I'm still learning, of course, and I'm having to reach way, way back into my memory to dredge up some recollections of when I studied architecture. But when it's not completely infuriating Sketchup is a heck of a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Follow the video tutorials posted before (including the google one http://sketchup.google.com/tutorials.html )!

Trust me - they are allot easier to glean ideas from than printed manuals.

-Rob A>
    I learned a heck of a lot from those and from the Sketchup Show on iTunes.
    Butch Curry
    Zombie Nirvana Games
    http://www.zombienirvana.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast