Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google SketchUP......

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Link Google SketchUP......

Google SketchUP is a free 3d tool (there is a pro version, but the free version is pretty functional by itself) that can be used to make simple 2d drawings "come alive". SketchUP can be found here:

http://sketchup.google.com/

I didn't fully understand just how useful it could be for rpg maps until I came across a series of threads by a user named None the Wiser on the Goodmangames messageboards.

Go to the forums (http://www.goodmangames.com/forum.htm) and look in the "art & artists" subforum near the bottom of the forum listings. None's threads should be near the top in the subforum and check out the 3-D Wildsgate Excursion thread (based on maps from a DCC module). Incredible--I'll never look at towns and the old classic dnd "overhead" map quite the same way again. His Sunken Ziggurat thread is pretty amazing as well.

Um... HOLY FREAKIN' COW!! Those are all kinds of cool! Thanks for link!
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Excellent stuff! Really beautiful work.

I wonder if we can tempt him here? <s>

Ravs
    One sure fire way to find out...
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Okay, for me personally it is highly ironic you posted this link.

After posting my "Holy Isle" isometric/perspective sketch over in the finished maps threads, the response many people gave of "I wish I could draw" made me wonder whether/how someone with little/no training in perspective drawing could still come up with at least a basic 3-D sketch using the wonders of modern technology. SketchUp came immediately to mind: create a simple render then improve it in an art program.

Google SketchUp then showed up on radar at the exact same time I wondered about it in a thread over at the EN World boards--with people asking if it could be used for this same purpose! (http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=202314) Coincidental, eh?

And now I see that amazing series by "None the Wiser"--that's ironic!

How can we not see a lot of uses for SketchUp type programs? To make a map (either 2D or in perspective) & be able to easily manipulate views and shots from unlimited angles is the way of the future for computer mapping, for both hobby and professional cartographers.

Great, great find thebax2k!! Inspirational.

PS: so who's going to give "None the Wiser" a call?
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Quote Originally Posted by pyrandon View Post
    PS: so who's going to give "None the Wiser" a call?
    I think it is your turn.

Post Another Look at Sketchup

I first became aware of sketchup from thebax2k's post and have been reviewing tutorials and experimenting with the program ever since. Is anyone else continuing experimentation/use of Sketchup?

Here is a 2-D picture I used from a published adventure, The Shackled City Adventure Path, to create my first 3-D model.

I like the idea of being able to create the streets and roof lines of villages/communities with basic 3-D shapes as seen from above and then develop specific buildings interiors as they become relevant.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lucky Monkey.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	195.7 KB 
ID:	837   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lucky-Monkey-with-Color-II.gif 
Views:	1811 
Size:	608.8 KB 
ID:	838   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lucky-Monkey-with-Color-Rea.gif 
Views:	262 
Size:	394.4 KB 
ID:	843   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lucky-Monkey-with-Color-Rig.gif 
Views:	287 
Size:	636.9 KB 
ID:	844   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lucky-Monkey-with-Color-Top.gif 
Views:	218 
Size:	251.4 KB 
ID:	845  

"Rationality is the recognition of the fact that nothing can alter the truth and nothing can take precedence over that act of perceiving it."

Atlas Shrugged authored by Ayn Rand

Info Resources for Sketchup

The only complaint I have so far with Sketchup is I cannot seem to get the stamp tool to work properly. The stamp tool allows one to place building onto interesting 3-D terrain more seamlessly by raising the proposed land to meet the building, much like a foundation. I believe this limitation has more to do with my limited computer processor speed than with the limitations of the program.

I wanted to point out two resources I found to be of use/example of what this program is capable of.

Mr. Aidan Chopra is the author of Sketchup for Dummies and has 62 tutorial videos on youtube that cover material not offered on the Goggle Sketchup tutorials.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9cNdODWm-c

TaffGoch shows how to quickly import 3-D terrain into sketchup, develop contour lines, and texture the terrain as well.
    http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...2f5d8f417f39be

Attached is imported 3-D terrain that takes only 30 seconds to create and then import for us in Sketchup.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inn-Terrain.gif 
Views:	4350 
Size:	833.9 KB 
ID:	846  
    "Rationality is the recognition of the fact that nothing can alter the truth and nothing can take precedence over that act of perceiving it."

Atlas Shrugged authored by Ayn Rand

Post Thread comment on Fister's work....

Fister,

Glad my post could be of some help. Its wonderful to see a mapper discover a new and useful tool. What you've posted looks really good. Should you create any more 3d displays and feel like sharing them, I certainly would like to see them. Although i'm sure there's far more work involved than in creating buildings, any dungeons you manage to flesh out would be very welcome.

I had no idea the tutorials existed, they should be quite helpful for anyone else who gets interested in using the program--thanks. By the way, have you had any luck contacting None the Wiser? It was his work that really gave me an idea of how incredible SketchUP could be in the right hands. If anyone could be considered an expert with it, he could.

WOW, Fister! That is truly inspirational!

So how long did it take you to "get your sea legs" in SketchUp? And how much time would you say it took you to do the tavern image? I want to use SketchUp too, but am afraid of taking yet one more program on...I still stink at the software I use now!!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast