Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barovia

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

A wonderful map, CM!

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    mearrin: btw, thanks for the comments, and I expect updates from you on the use of the map
    Ah, yes. It'll be a while before I have an opening to run it, though:

Fierce fighting in the recent border skirmishes between Hungary, Romania, and Slovakia has made it difficult for the World Health Organization to address what may be the latest outbreak of a mysterious hemorrhagic fever somewhere in the western mountains of Romania. A delirious man, suffering from the strange disease, recently stumbled into a UN peace-keeping camp muttering about someplace called "Barovia" and the "Devil Strahd". During treatment the delusional fellow, following a brief heart-stoppage, assaulted two UN medics who were treating him and was killed by guards, sustaining an incredible amount of damage before finally relenting in his attack. The UN has decided to dispatch a small force of guards and medics to look for Barovia and assess the situation - unfortunately, the only clues they have to go on are the assumed path of travel taken by the victim and an old map, provided by a helpful local.

I've been making some notes on toning down the D&D v3.5 adventure for use in D20 Modern. Strahd and company are truly killer in that module - I think they hoped to offset D&D's crazy PC power-curve with equally powerful foes. He'll be a little more down-to-Earth in my modern version (though still hella scary). He also might have gotten his hands on a Vanquish recently...but maybe not. The Vistani will definitely be packing heat, however.
    M
    Last edited by mearrin69; 10-06-2009 at 04:01 PM.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Oh wow, that's very promising

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Guild Member

Nice map!

I loved the original I6 module from TSR.

Here is one of Wizard's remakes (map from Wizards.com map of the week collection):

Last edited by RobA; 10-07-2009 at 02:17 PM. Reason: added referecne to map origin

This fits its purpose perfectly. It's the sort of map I would expect the people of Barovia to make. Spot on!

Total gothic terror. 450 XP

DMG

That's a great style for a Ravenloft map. Its not just the style itself, which I think could be easily tailored to a number of themes, but also the really great color palette. Great work (as usual)!

I think I might have misunderstood, but are you saying that you based this style off a real map of Transylvania?

dmg: Thanks!!! I think that's the coolest compliment format I've seenyet ;P

msa: thanks for the compliments As to your last comment, you are correct. the practice map was of transylvania, to get the style right. the link to that thread is here. being as it was a copy of the original, I did not post it in the finished maps thread, it didn't feel right to me. Next up, I'm going to redo my Danassis map (the one that started it all, woot) on paper! I'll scan it in when I'm done, this may take awhile though since I can only sit in a chair for limited periods.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Wow, nice. I'll repeat others before me: the style fits the setting very well. It's very elegant and dark.

Thanks! Always good to know I've accomplished my intent

My finished maps

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Schley's Avatar

Personally, I love the style. You're absolutely spot on with the evocative 19th century flavor. I especially like the illustrated vignettes in the corners and your font choices. My only crit would be to illustrate the individual cities instead of cut and pasting them. The little town and city icons that you use look awesome but just need a bit more variety between locations. Great work overall though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12