Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fellwick - WiP

Looks great so far. We need more progress
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

I still haven't done much with the landscape. I experimented a bit with some elevation (only three levels of it.) I'm not sure if I like it yet, but I'm going to see where this idea takes me. I'm pretty happy with the trees, though! :3

I like the varying roof colors for the most part, but I'm still not sure I'm satisfied with them. They need some texture, but I'm not sure how I'll do that, since all the buildings are facing different angles.

I'm not sure how I'm going to texture the walls and other stone stuff, for partly the same reason. Also because I'm just not sure how some of this stuff should look from above, hehe!

I'm still trying to figure out how to draw farms... if you can think of any good examples, I would love to see them! Thanks!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fellwick2.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	521.1 KB 
ID:	17562  

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

One way to add a quick bit of texture would be to add a noise overlay layer at low opacity and mask it to only show up on the roofs. Not sure how to accomplish that in Photoshop though. In Gimp it'd be HSV noise.

Looking great!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I have a thatching brush that you can use, it also resembles wood slats here. Look at post #3 and I show you the steps for making your own.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    One way to add a quick bit of texture would be to add a noise overlay layer at low opacity and mask it to only show up on the roofs. Not sure how to accomplish that in Photoshop though. In Gimp it'd be HSV noise.

Looking great!
    Thanks! Not quite what I'm looking for for the houses, I think, but it does give me some ideas! Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I have a thatching brush that you can use, it also resembles wood slats here. Look at post #3 and I show you the steps for making your own.
    Very interesting! I tried it and it's working fine. That helps with quite a few things.

I added more buildings, gave the houses some texture, and added a few other things. I experimented with some sandy beaches and rocks. I think they turned out okay, but I don't think the beaches blend well into the grass.

Still not sure what to do with those walls and whatnot.

Kehehe I also decided to see what it looked like with no stroke lines on the various layers. I think I like it better with.

Name:	fellwick3.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	548.8 KB 
ID:	17585   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fellwick3nolines.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	502.2 KB 
ID:	17586  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Depending on how cluttered this gets the stroked one might be best as it defines the spaces better. If that empty space is for farms then I guess it won't get too cluttered and therefore the non-stroked painted version might be best...but you'll need to make your houses a tad lighter so that they don't blend into the shadows.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like either version, but Ascension has a good point.

I think your beaches need just a bit more blending (but not much), maybe a little Gaussian Blur might help. You might also want to do something with the transition of the rock mounts in the water.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I agree with SG on the rockmounts ... some breaking surf around them might look cool.

I like the stroked version better, but both are looking good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Depending on how cluttered this gets the stroked one might be best as it defines the spaces better. If that empty space is for farms then I guess it won't get too cluttered and therefore the non-stroked painted version might be best...but you'll need to make your houses a tad lighter so that they don't blend into the shadows.
    I did notice that they were getting a little dark. Hopefully this is a bit better. I did hope to put some farms in that empty space, yes. The town, though, is pretty close to finished, other than another couple of houses over on the eastern side.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    I like either version, but Ascension has a good point.

I think your beaches need just a bit more blending (but not much), maybe a little Gaussian Blur might help. You might also want to do something with the transition of the rock mounts in the water.
    After some consideration, I decided to blur the beaches. I think it came out pretty good! For the rocks, I removed the stroke and made them a little darker at the edges and played with a dissolved outer glow.

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    I agree with SG on the rockmounts ... some breaking surf around them might look cool.

I like the stroked version better, but both are looking good.
    I liked parts of the stroked version, and parts of the unstroked version, so I combined the two. I'm not sure what I think of it yet.

There's quite a bit still that needs a bit of blur at the edges if I'm going to keep it at 100% size. I'm thinking I like it more along the lines of 75% or so, though, like the second picture here.

Name:	fellwick4.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	534.8 KB 
ID:	17613   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fellwick4idealsize.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	317.7 KB 
ID:	17614  

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast