Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fellwick - WiP

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Looking good. Also, I didn't mention it before but should have ... the texture on those rocks is fantastic.

Ugh! My computer crashed and I lost all the work I had on this. It's gonna take me a while to redraw it and whatnot, but I'm glad everything's here for me to look at! Haha.

Ah, well, sometimes reworking it from the beginning can be the best thing! I'll see how it goes.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

It'll at least give you a chance to play around and experiment some more Me loves playing around and experimenting like that. I'm such a geek that way.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Journeyer

Very nice map...the aesthetics are great, but I think it is all in too much order! You know, a medieval/fantasy town should be a bit more "funky" in terms of shape, building size, etc...On the other hand you might have a very solid background for this orderly town so don't listen to me!

On thing that bothers me though is the scale...I think the biggest problem is the towers compared to the manors or the buildings. I think knowing your scale beforehand will help you put things in perspective.

So, good luck with your re-work...Overall I like your mapping style!

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    It'll at least give you a chance to play around and experiment some more Me loves playing around and experimenting like that. I'm such a geek that way.
    Me too! The only problem I'm having is that I can't remember how I did the forests, exactly. :/ I'll figure it out, I hope!

Quote Originally Posted by The-Somberlain View Post
    Very nice map...the aesthetics are great, but I think it is all in too much order! You know, a medieval/fantasy town should be a bit more "funky" in terms of shape, building size, etc...On the other hand you might have a very solid background for this orderly town so don't listen to me!

On thing that bothers me though is the scale...I think the biggest problem is the towers compared to the manors or the buildings. I think knowing your scale beforehand will help you put things in perspective.

So, good luck with your re-work...Overall I like your mapping style!
    There is actually a reason why the town looks very planned and in order!

The castle there was originally a fort on the border of two countries, years and years after the countries were both conquered by the empire, a town started being built there. As there wasn't much in the way of threats to the town's safety, no walls were built, though there were one or two guard towers there.

When the town was leveled by a horde of monsters (Fellwick happened to be in between two larger cities housing rival wizards... apparently there were some ancient grudges that escalated to violence), it was put back together around the landmarks that survived with the help of the town's resident mages and a wall was erected around the entire city.

...There's a bit more, but I'll leave it at that for now! Hehe! As for the size of some of the manors and whatnot, at least one of them is obscenely big - it was built a few generations after the disaster by one of the lords of Fellwick and was added onto by several of his successors. The other two obscenely big buildings are a temple and a monastery. A few of the other large buildings are inns. Despite its rather shaky beginnings, Fellwick has been very prosperous, mostly because it's a stop for many travelers along the road from one part of the empire to the other, so two of its largest buildings are inns located at the entrances (or exits, depending on where you're coming from) of the town.

Haha... anyway, that's all I've got. I'm sure some of the scale is still wrong, but I wanted the bigger, more important buildings, to be more visible. As for the towers and the walls, well... I'm not sure how the heck to do those, yet.... What was on here was mostly placeholder. D:

Thanks for the compliment and the good luck!
    Last edited by StarRaven; 11-09-2009 at 08:05 PM.

I've made some progress! Honestly, I'm glad. It looks much better than it did before.

I have some buildings I need to draw in, and then I need to decide where exactly to crop this thing, then I need to redownload some fonts before I can start labeling things!

I don't think I like the water, though. I'll probably replace it before I finish this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fellwick.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	3.10 MB 
ID:	18511  

That's a really elegant town. I feel like the people that live there would be genuinely interesting to meet.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That is something sweet. Almost cartoon but not. Almost sat-style but not. That green was a great choice, I wanna try that. The ocean repeats but you only notice it in the thumb, at full scale you have to look hard for it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Great layout and trees!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast