Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Grackslu WIP

Guild Apprentice

The circular river has a 30% finished story, thought it would be interesting to have a high speed water perpetum-mobile (think of the possibilities!)
    The sun for rivers was the same as for the mountains, although I have no idea why there was "emboss" instead of "inner bevel"
    The square thing... not as easy as it might have seen, but manageable
    The ocean had a change right after I uploaded the last one (the dark part seemed to sharp)
    so, with this quick update comes a hard question:
    where do forests grow?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grackslu3.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	4.50 MB 
ID:	17525
    Last edited by Spiritless; 10-08-2009 at 06:18 PM.

Guild Apprentice

Wip

Well... Moving forward. Finished forests, borders, cities (goddamn making one brush 10 times to fit in those pixels), the net, will have to search for a method for roads, and then the naming process and finishing it. Oh and the scale is one square is about 50 miles

Any thoughts?

Name:	grackslu.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	4.40 MB 
ID:	17666

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

In the middle of the map, just right of center, it looks like you filled in some lakes or something and that's producing a hard edge. You also might want to add a black stroke around your towns so that they don't get lost in the lighter colored areas. So far so good.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Just noticed... suppose it isn't deliberate... but your rivers look like they are "blue lines of putty glued onto the landscape".
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looking good, couple of things I noticed...

1) You have some pixelization/noise around many of your lakes
    2) As Juggy pointed out your rivers look like they rise up off the land. Not sure if that's do to the source of the lighting or not.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Hey, I know other people have mentioned the rivers already but I had the same problem with mine. Here's the setting i used, maybe they'll work for your rivers too.

Set the fill to 0%.
    Colour overlay of 110,160,200 at 50% opacity.
    Bevel and emboss at chisel soft and direction down. Set the highlight of the bevel to 0 and size to 1.

Essentially the same as the rivers in Ascension's tut but with some slight tweaking, if the rivers turn out to bright, or not bright enough, just tweak the opacity on the colour overlay. The bevel doesn't really work if the rivers are 1 pixel wide but that shouldn't be a problem with your map. Where the rivers meet the sea, or a lake, lightly erase the edges with a small airbrush eraser to make them fade into the water.

Hopes this helps.

-D-
    Last edited by LonewandererD; 10-14-2009 at 07:24 AM. Reason: spelling errors
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The problem with the rivers is an inner bevel instead of an outer bevel.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Apprentice

Wip

Ok.
    I tried to fix the lakes and the shores, somewhat worked (I hope), and I've fixed the rivers. Now I'm working on roads, then I'll try naming all that stuff... And then what?

Name:	grackslunext.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	4.23 MB 
ID:	17694

There's a rather interesting crop-circle in the southeastern forest. I assume that's intentional? Ancient elven ceremonial site, perhaps?

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

At this scale (or what I presume this scale to be), that's a heck of a ceremonial site! I'd figure it to be the ruins of an ancient super-city.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast