Thread: Sep/Oct Lite Entry - The Savage Lands of Tiera Ka'al

Post Sep/Oct Lite Entry - The Savage Lands of Tiera Ka'al

This is going to be a bit tough to do this month without proper internet access (having to drive to my mother's to upload this).

Minus a few tweaks here and there from your suggestions, I think the map itself is mostly complete. I've got lots of labeling to do yet, and I'll probably change the few labels that are there because I'm not quite sure yet how I feel about them.

Anyway, let me know what you think. This is from Pasis's tutorial, btw. If you haven't given him rep for it, go do it now.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wild map.png 
Views:	117 
Size:	4.45 MB 
ID:	17524  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looking good so far...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Yeah, I like it. I can see you followed Pasis' tutorial, yet you gave it your own twist I think.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Small update. Changed the water and the forest textures, and added some color variation to the forest as well. Also added a border... grunging that up was fun, but if I didn't have carpal tunnel before (and I'm sure I did), I most certainly do now.

I've still got a bit of work on the border... I'll probably put something in the corners to even them up a bit. Maybe a gold block embossed with something and equally grungy.

Man, it's been a while since I've entered a challenge.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	70 
Size:	4.10 MB 
ID:	17534  
    Last edited by industrygothica; 10-08-2009 at 06:48 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'll second Red, looks good.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I can't see any reason why this shouldn't be the final version of this map. It almost has to be, because I'll be back at work tomorrow and won't have time to come add anything, let alone drive here to my mother's to upload it. Let that be a lesson: Internet contests are HARD when you don't have the internet... but not impossible.

In any case, read the story that goes with it.
    ----------------------------------

Here are the Savage Lands of Tiera Ka'al, which were surely not always referred to as such, though no living being would be able to contest it.

The map tells the story of Tiera Ka'al herself, and of the black dragon Shadowgleam. It was the dragon's rampage that took Tiera's newlywed husband. Tiera fled with the other survivors, but swore to return to exact her revenge on the black beast.

Years later she did just that. Her magicks perfected, she found Shadowgleam's Landing without fail, and confronted the beast directly. The dragon, though, was powerful, and thought Tiera little more than a nuisance. And so she left.

She returned again years later, and this time lured the great black beast past Shadow Lake and over the mountains. Her powers had grown, as well as her determination, but still Shadowgleam was too powerful and defeated her.

Her body lay broken--but alive--on a towering cliff above the ocean, as that was Shadowgleam's way. For days she lay in the basking sun mourning the loss of her husband and cursing the gods for allowing it to happen. And when she finally found the energy to stand, she flung herself from that cliff into the cold waters below.

She found herself washed upon a desecrated beach, and she was changed. She was alive but dead all the same, and suddenly death didn't matter to her anymore.

In time Shadowgleam became bored and wished that his rival would visit him again. He even went to visit her bones he left upon the perch over the ocean, but was disappointed when there were none. It was there when he sensed the unholy presence in the south calling to him.

He landed on that vile beach and saw her, and she him. The dragon bowed, and the lich Tiera Ka'al had her victory, and her lover.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	178 
Size:	4.29 MB 
ID:	17547  

I like it
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Very nice. I think I like it better without the canvas texture but thats just my preference. I really like the story that goes with this map as well.
    My debut novel, The Final Warden is available on Amazon.com in paperback and on Kindle.

Please visit my blog for more information about my writing and my art

Please visit my sketchbook on Conceptart.org
    TomCardin

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Cardin View Post
    Very nice. I think I like it better without the canvas texture but thats just my preference. I really like the story that goes with this map as well.
    I was having difficulty deciding that one myself... Might do and take a second look at it now that I have internet back.

Thanks for the input,

-IG