Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Balakovo

Wip Balakovo

This is being Created using a variety of tricks. Already need to redo the MUD layer to get smaller coverage areas. This is just the jump starter to let you guys know its coming.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Balakovo01.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	829.9 KB 
ID:	17542  

Wip

Ok so the last time I saved all it saved was the first three layers. So I had to start over again tried to get as much don as I could, but i'm getting tired.

The orange is a reference/place holder for the walls

Grey place holder for Roads

Red place holder for Buildings

To do:
    Buildings
    Walls
    Terrain Elivation
    Roads
    Foliage
    Beutify River
    Symbology
    Refine
    Rotate final image to fit in better with world map (one road towards south two roads towards north

Views:	108 
Size:	615.7 KB 
ID:	17588  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

It looks good but there are problems with the bridges...the shadows. Using objects often produces messed up shadows due to rotating things to fit what you want. However, until you learn how to make your own objects I would say so far so good.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Eventualy thats what I want to do (make my own objects) this will be a practice at designe and at general cuty building.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Layout practice is a good thing. Looks like your using the city-designer thingy. That's a good place to start but it will always have weird streets. Use that as a loose framework and don't stick to it too rigidly.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I was using, This tutorial I tried your's for city mapping but between wrangling kids and other stuff going on I could not pay it the attention it deserved.

Also remeber I am using gimp and having to translate the PS tuts. Still getting use to some of the tools.

ok back to the work at hand. Acensions correct, every time I looked at that map my eyes are drawn to the miniscule details that are slightly off. The bridge drop shadows, the art of the buildings vary widely and are obviously mashed into the picture. So I went purist with the TUT and did my map in acordance to his. I still modified some of the things, textures used and what not. Oh hey for those with gimp the coffee bean texture that comes with it set to multiply over a nice road brown looks very good. I also added a rock in hardlight for my roads.

Views:	121 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	17671  

Heres a cleaned up version with a title and some artistic touches... Ok just one art touch.

Views:	149 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	17808  

Looks ok so far. Is the texture for the houses a placeholder or final?
    The fold and brick wall look a bit out of place in this map.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

On the building texture not quite sure yet gonna start experimenting with creating my own building object type things. We will see how that works out.

The brick and fold where me playing with some of the artistic renders in gimp I will prolly wind up getting rid of them as they take away from the map a little to much.

Did you have a sugestion for the buildings?

Well, it looks like the buildings have a bit of a mud texture at the moment. I am sure there are better textures out there, that work well with the realistic landscape (which looks good by the way, I like how you give the impression of height to the terrain).

I can't really help you with textures though as I am a Profantasy software user and that software comes equipped with houses in all kinds of different styles. Maybe another guild member can point you to some good textures.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast