Thread: Valley of the Kings Maps.....

Link Valley of the Kings Maps.....

An excellent real world site to visit for maps is the incredible Theban Mapping Project. Its site can be found at:

http://www.thebanmappingproject.com/

also http://www.kv5.com/ will work as well.

The site uses a flash interface to access maps of the Necropolis of Thebes in Egypt as well as numerous tombs in the Valley of the Kings. If you are ever looking for info on ancient funerary structures, the Theban Mapping Project is hard to beat.

Info

Excellent resource thebax2! I have used it before, I usually have to take screen caps or use other methods (or at least I did previously, I'm not sure how they set this up now) but it is very cool. Gives a great verisimiltude even if you decide to do one on your own and are just looking for inspiration. I based a map I did for a supplement on the work I found here. (It was for HERO's Thrilling Places which is currently up for an award but not in cartography )

Post Valley of the Kings....

Thanks Publius. I must admit I was a little bit surprised no one else had put up the link yet--the kv5 site is relatively well known.

If you ever need to extract images from the site (most of which are stored in flash applications) just go to globfx.com and download the free SWF extractor (it enables you to extract jpgs, gifs, and other pictures that have been embedded into shockwave flash (swf) files).

I also saw your map of the tomb of Rameses the Third. Its simple but sharp looking. It brought back pleasant (and not so pleasant memories of gaming sessions in I3 Pharoah from many, many years ago.

If you are ever looking for tomb structures for gaming or just plain inspiration, I would point you to Ruins of Hyborea by Mongoose. Although its designed for their Conan RPG, the supplement has a large number of ruins mapped out, including an extensive Stygian Pyramid Complex.

Thanks again for the compliment and the map. Keep up the good cartography.