Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: October Entry - A Merchantman's tale

Post October Entry - A Merchantman's tale

Can't believe that there are so few entries this month. I'm going to have a go (not sure if I'll finish though).

The first part, which I wanted to get through quickly, so I took a lot of short cuts was to get a reasonable 16th/17th Century map feel. Borrowed liberally from all the lovely symbols that various folks (Wag et al) have posted in the elements library.

I want to get tonnes of cities down so there's lots of labels because I want to use Alfar's Wordbuilder to autogenerate the names (and in Drawplus too, which is what I'm using to make this map). Then I want to animate it - so that's where the real time is going to be spent.

Anyway, here's part 1 in progress.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	render 091010.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	17570  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Go Ravs Go!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Yeah, it seems we have hit a dry spell...
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Hopefully there are many cartographers secretly squirrelling away and who will unfurl their meisterworks towards the end of the month. Alfar's name generator was amazing, it saves an astonishing amount of time. All these labels in under an hour and a half. It's map slacker's heaven.

### latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	render 091010a.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	17576  

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Eh, I think maybe everyone's just scared after seeing the masterpieces on display last month

This is looking fantastic, but some of the labelling on the southeastern continent is confusing my eye; it looks upside down. When I think about it I can see where it's coming from, but that first impression sticks.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Very nice start!! This is actually the direction I've been taking my own antique style maps. I'm looking forward to the final version so i can keep a copy in my Inspriations folder

In regards to the low number of entries this time aorund.. I may not be entering this month.. not because of the last challenge or anything, but because I just got swamped with several paying projects all at the same time But, i'll see about getting something in once these are well taken care of

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

All I can say is "Holy Sheep!" what a nutso level of localities! And here I was worried my map could end up cluttered with the little locations I was tossing in...

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Depending on the map you're looking at, this many localities is trivial
    http://www.raremaps.com/gallery/enlarge/15019

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Thanks All, Gidde: I wasn't too happy with the labelling on the southern landmass either. I'll have a play with it to get it more consistent and have a look at some references as well.

That old map is great Coyotemax. Mostly because it prominently features the Netherlands
    Lots of water has been filled in with land nowadays, including most of the Zuyderzee.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast