Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: October Entry - Sector Trade Lanes

Guild Adept

Wip October Entry - Sector Trade Lanes

Greetings all. I think I may have a go at this month's challenge. This is a preliminary workup of the, as yet unnamed, solar sector that I am going to be working on. I'll probably post frequent updates.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oct09-01.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	192.5 KB 
ID:	17582  
    Last edited by nolgroth; 10-12-2009 at 06:09 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like this so far. I know, not much of a comment but I don't have any crits
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Adept

Thanks. I just noticed how few entries (two at this posting) there were and I figured they were lonely.

I appreciate any feedback so thank you.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I love the planets, they're all very cool. I do have one tiny suggestion though -- the orbit lines are popping out to me as much as the planets are, which seems off. You might think about decreasing the opacity on the orbit rings so that the planets catch your eye before the rings do.

Guild Adept

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    I love the planets, they're all very cool. I do have one tiny suggestion though -- the orbit lines are popping out to me as much as the planets are, which seems off. You might think about decreasing the opacity on the orbit rings so that the planets catch your eye before the rings do.
    I was debating that myself. Thanks.

Guild Adept

Update:
    - Added labels for several of the inner worlds.
    - Muted the orbital rings.

Name:	Oct09-02.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	212.9 KB 
ID:	17584  

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

As far as visual goes, it looks good. However, I don't think I could ever bring myself to use it in a game. Even with Sci-Fi level technology, colonizing a planet that close to the sun is not going to be feasible, at least not to my mind. Radiation levels would be insane, and the extreme hot/cold cycle wouldn't help much either.

Guild Adept

The setting is pure Space Opera so the radiation deal is pretty much solved with rubber science force fields. For that matter, the temperature could also be handled by the same explanation.

I am toying with this idea of somehow demonstrating space stations and such. That would help indicate that the "colony" close to the sun is a mobile research station that keeps itself parked on the dark side of the planet. Working with straight visuals and no accompanying text can be a challenge in and of itself.

Edit: And this map is still in very early stages. It is built upon many, many layers that allow me to manipulate where exactly a planet and it's label goes.

Thanks for the feedback.

I have no idea if it suits your concept, but if you're going to add space stations, you might want to consider adding clusters in the trojan positions of your gas giant. Jupiter's trojans have about the same amount of matter as the asteroid belt, and packed in to a smaller area. Being just outside the stellar snow line they also tend to be good places to get oxygen/water and nitrogen/ammonia.
    http://www.monticello21st.com/rpg/nfwiki/
    Call the Lightning. Ride the Storm. Find your Power. Become Reborn.
    Seek your Place, and know it well. Live a tale you wish to tell.

Guild Adept

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Wilson63 View Post
    I have no idea if it suits your concept, but if you're going to add space stations, you might want to consider adding clusters in the trojan positions of your gas giant. Jupiter's trojans have about the same amount of matter as the asteroid belt, and packed in to a smaller area. Being just outside the stellar snow line they also tend to be good places to get oxygen/water and nitrogen/ammonia.
    Probably a good idea. First time I've done a sector map like this so I am experimenting with everything. For the moment I have solidified a couple of things.

UPDATE:
    - Tightened up the label boxes and changed the border colors to correspond to the solar "zone" that the planet dwells in. Purple represents the Black zone.
    - Added in, then subsequently removed some actual trade route designators. They resembled the borders of the Green and Blue zone planets' labels.

NEXT STEPS:
    - Legend
    - Revised Trade Lanes
    - Rename to indicate this map shows only the inner planets.
    - Possible additional remote stations that are not orbiting a planet(oid).
    - Possible additional reference for planets beyond the inner systems.

Name:	Oct09-03.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	237.2 KB 
ID:	17592  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast