Thread: Hadaraxi: The League War

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Hadaraxi: The League War

Seriously guys, this time I actually have intentions of finishing.

On the whole, I'm not sure what I think of this at the moment. At first the colours didn't bother me, but they're slowly starting to grate and I'm not sure why.

I am also not sure if I'm going to keep the important industrial sites.

The font is temporary. I just haven't gotten around to looking for a more suitable one.

There are still several things that need doing. I have to redo the red and white text and icons because they are poorly placed and at times blurry.

And most importantly, I still have to add my army groups, movements and defensive lines.

I also have two questions, do people think I should add borders? And if so, what style? as I am at a loss for that. Also, should everything be glowy, or would that be too much?

Edit: Upon viewing it zoomed out.. it's kind of paradoxical, it almost looks too busy, but in reality it's very sparse. Maybe I'm just crazy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hadaraxiglowy.png 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	17587  
    Last edited by TheMeanestGuest; 10-11-2009 at 12:05 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Reminds me of the movie "War Games" for some reason. I'd say keep poking along on this before making any real determinations about color, I think they're fine so far.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Reminds me of the movie "War Games" for some reason. I'd say keep poking along on this before making any real determinations about color, I think they're fine so far.
    Several people have actually mentioned that to me, I personally have never seen the movie. I probably got the idea by subconsciously copying something that was copying it.

Looks kind of cool as-is. I think the reason folks point out Wargames is because that movie used those old-school (now, anyway) vector maps. Take a look at the game DEFCON and you'll see what I mean:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEFCON_(computer_game)

Your naming and themes, which sort of remind me of Syndicate (old videogame by Bullfrog), go along with the style you've started to build very nicely, IMO. Looking forward to seeing where you go with it.
    M

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Yeah I like it so far.

I think the font you chose is fine (it's eitehr Tahoma or Verdana - I always get the mixed up) - it's very readable even at small sizes.

Are you going to add terrain features?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I do have a suggestion: Thin out the borders a bit and make them brighter, then apply a thinner glow effect that follows it exactly rather than just approximately. It will make for cleaner and better-looking lines that still evoke that simplified vector graphics look you're going for. Oh, and for computerized fonts, you can never really go wrong with either System or OCR A Extended. Trawling some free font sites would work best, though.
    Last edited by Gregorus Prime; 10-11-2009 at 07:49 PM.