Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: October 2009 Entry - Siete Torres

Blog Entries

I know what you're all saying.... he's never going to finish in time. Well I am going to finish in time. I just need to stop redoing things I've already done.

It was a busy day with work and trying to help my daughter find a different job and making dinner for everyone. I got my knew mobile phone after a very long time of using a crappy one. It's a Samsung Rogue and so far, so good. So of course I had to play with that.

The redo's today were the seven towers and wall and gate towers. That took little time at all.

The new stuff is Rosetown in the southwest corner. A lot of the stinky stuff went in here as the wind tends to blow south and east. There's a dyer here, and a soap maker, two chandlers sharing a sprawling complex with an oiler, two butter makers and their herd of happy cows and a roper maker with his seriously long building to protect his seriously long rope-making jig from the elements.

Just one more section to finish outside the walls, at least on the island itself. A good bit inside the city proper is residential, so that won't take as long as you might think. Of course there are still lots of businesses in there and some duplicates of things you see outside the walls.

### Latest Wip ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Siete Torres.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	4.68 MB 
ID:	17751

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Ok, the rope maker has got to be my favourite part of the map so far. Seriously, I'm still chuckling over it!

Is the soap icon from Fight Club, perchance?

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Dude, yer puttin me to shame with detail Lovin this, though.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

With each update I like this map even more, Immolate. Very nice job so far.
    As for the deadline: I have been known to take bribes

Oh, a question:
    While I very much like the shields as labeling, I am wondering if you are also going to show us a version without them (maybe after the challenge)?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Just out of curiosity, is 'Oiler' the correct term?

I found this page which has a pretty sizable listing of mideival occupations - most have a brief description as well. I was thinking "Fueller" might be a better term. *shrugs*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

It does have something of a fight club flavor to it doesn't it? Maybe that's what caught my eye. But no, it was just a bar of soap with some bubbles.

Gandwarf: Yes sir, I'll post a version sans shields when I put it in the finished maps section.
    SG: Thanks for the link. That one has some good odd-ball stuff in it too. I'll go through it later and perhaps make some changes. I'd always thought the term was "render" or something to that effect.
    Ascension: Thanks for the praise! You've always been a fair critic so it means a lot coming from you.
    Last edited by Immolate; 10-16-2009 at 07:50 AM. Reason: avoiding consecutive posts

Looking absolutely beautiful! Great attention to detail!

I would go for the tallow chandler as the closest to an oil merchant but that's very Anglo-centric since vegetable oil was not really used (e.g. olive oil) during medieval times in England although it was used in the Med countries. This is all half guesswork on my part - might be talking total rubbish!

cheers

Ravs

Blog Entries

Tallow would be a good guess both because of proximity to the oil renderer and the fact that the complex is relegated to Rosetown. Nobody works in Rosetown if they can help it. Even the rope maker only works there because there was a good stretch of flat ground there. I don't think olive oil is nearly unpleasant enough in smell to warrant exile to Rosetown, although I could be wrong. I know fat-rending is, however.

Oh, there's also linseed oil, flaxseed oil and probably a dozen other medieval sources for the precious lube. I think fat was just the easiest. Apparently there were a half dozen or so materials for candles too beyond just wax and tallow. I haven't really had time to do much research.
    Last edited by Immolate; 10-16-2009 at 03:59 PM. Reason: wanted to add a thought

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I use the term oiler in my tut because it refers to whale oil used in lamps. I got it from a list somewhere long ago buried in my bookmarks.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

My rework project for the day was the boats in fishtown. I'm not sure if they're up to snuff now, but they are better than they were.

I did Wharftown, which is the area where the big boats come in from up and down the river, bringing their trade goods and loading up with some of Seite Torres' fine goods to sell elsewhere. Trade is driven here as it is everywhere. Some places have an abundance of a thing, but need more of some other thing. So the other thing comes in, and the thing that is surplus goes out. Siete Torres' claim to fame is their advanced industry. For a small city, they have some big-city goods.

Wharftown is more than just wharfs. it is also a series of large wharehouses, a large tanning operation which has made a stinky mess out of this part of town, and a currier who preps the leather for manufacture once the tanner is done.

On the other side of the island, I put in a paper mill where softwoods like pine and fir are ground into a very fine pulp for making paper. This is why many of the northern conifers are called "pulp wood". It isn't just a matter of grinding though. Chemicals are necessary, and they stink terribly, making paper milling an industry that everyone likes but wants done somewhere else.

You can find a number of towns in central Maine where there are paper mills, but you won't need to stop and ask the locals if there's one there. You'll smell it coming a mile outside of town.

Further up-river is a saw mill. It's a big one with four great wheels. Saw mills are necessary for board or "milled" lumber. And of course these aren't the seven to twelve-inch blades that we're familiar with, but big 50+ inch monsters that can split a good-sized treen in one pass. Big logs for the mill are difficult to transport. They didn't have tractor-trailer trucks and trains like we use today, so they would use horse teams and drag the logs to the nearest river and float them to the mill to be cut. We do the same today in some locations.

### Latest Wip ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Siete Torres.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	2.78 MB 
ID:	17795

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast