Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: October 2009 Entry - Siete Torres

Blog Entries

Wip October 2009 Entry - Siete Torres

October has been a crazy month between work, school, planning for a trip to DC and taking the kids to Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios in Orlando. That said, I finally got some time this weekend to put in some quality time with Photoshop, working on my challenge project "Siete Torres".

The basis for the project is Ascension's magnificent river in his city tutorial. I trimmed the banks down a bit and toned down the bevel, and made a dozen or so other adjustments that I could not possibly replicate.

The walls were inspired by CoyoteMax and his superb Cruzamento walls. I wound up using a stroke for the ramparts. Thanks for the stone pattern CM!!!

The best feature of this map, and what is taking the longest, is the shadows. City walls have never played well with drop shadows, and I have a whole bunch of interacting city walls on this map, so I decided early on that I would do the drop shadows manually.

You may notice that the same object can cast multiple different shadows on surfaces of varying elevations. I am seriously straining my Trig from college, trying to do interacting slopes on the monastery dormers and trying to keep track of the many levels and features of the church.

The map is less than a third done, so I have lots more work ahead. Suggestions and commentary is welcome!

### Latest Wip ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Siete Torres.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	4.29 MB 
ID:	17591

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Oh wow, that's gorgeous so far. i love the banks!!

ya dats lookin purty hot

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

I am a huge sucker for cities and I love what you have so far. Can't wait to see some more housing appear! The banks, walls and bridges look awesome. Very crisp and clear!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

A fine start...

I love the little symbols/icons next to the buildings, although that font at that size is a bit hard to read.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Great start! I too love the banks, but the water texture and especially that bridge shadow also bear mentioning. I can't wait to see it grow

Blog Entries

The Cleric's Quarter is in. The winery, vineyards and barn complete the Church campus, with the nunnery not far away. A seamstress, bookbinder, team of scribes and cartographer/architect have also taken up residence of this little section of Siete Torres. Next to the wall, a herald/geneologist has hung up his shingle.

### Latest Wip ###

Views:	117 
Size:	4.16 MB 
ID:	17607

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The force is strong in this one. The ruler for the nuns is priceless, gave me a loud guffaw when I zoomed in to look at what it was. Doing towns can be fun if you can put up with the drudgery of all the rotating of buildings.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

Last update for the weekend. I put in fish town where all the fishermen and fish mongers live. The fish market is also there, outside the walls and down wind of the city proper. Down-bank are the docks where the fishing boats are kept.

Also down next to the river is the grain mill built on a large wharf. It's a serious mill with three wheels.

I am also concerned about finishing in time Ravells. If I could drop a building without researching it first and then trying to imitate it accurately, it would speed things up considerably, but before I can ask you to like it, I have to like it. I don't always find a good example to imitate, but when I do, I try to make it as real as possible.

### Latest Wip ###

Views:	127 
Size:	4.21 MB 
ID:	17611

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Your new houses and docks are green. If that's what you were going for then cool but since I know that you're r/g color blind you might want to fix that. Just look at the rgb in the color picker and swap the top two numbers (the third is blue).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast