Thread: My first map ever

Post My first map ever

Yestarday I decited to try one of the tutorials I found here. I'm not very good with photoshop and this map was my first try ever. I hope it doen't look that bad.

Btw. I hope this is the right section I'm posting in ^^;; feel free to move it if it's not. Yea I know my english isn't very good. =/

Edit. Of course feel free to critique it and say what should I change =P I got lost with the tutorial preety fast and had to improvize a lot so there are a lot of problems propably. And hello everyone ^^
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mapablahblah.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	669.8 KB 
ID:	17593  
    Last edited by Nian; 10-11-2009 at 04:25 AM.

Welcome to the Guild Nian! That is an amazingly good map for a first try. The rivers are a bit hard to spot against the darker green terrain though, and there is a slight impression of the land floating over the sea. Try painting the rivers with the same light-blue color that lines the coasts; then they might be easier to see and they'll be connecting with the seas in a more natural manner.

Thank you for reply. I will change the rivers. Btw. I have 1 question. Anybody know how can I make some forests on this map? Or shouldn't I bother with it. A link to some nice tutorial is welcome =]

Nice job Nian. I agree with Ghostman's comment about the rivers and floating land. Otherwise you nailed it pretty well!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

At this scale forests are not that easily seen so I wouldn't bother with them. For your first attempt I think you did a really good job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I think you did a pretty good job of following along with the tutorial. It'll probably take a couple of run-throughs to get all the techniques down. But once you do, you'll be mapping like a pro.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Ok I finished this map. I didn't bother to make up names so I simply copy-pasted most of them from FF XI maps or random name generator. I had lots of fun doing this map and can't wait to make another.
    btw. Don't bother thinkin about the scale I have no idea what scale could be apropriate for this. =P
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mapablahblah.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	17625  

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Looks very good now.

In a few places, however, the labels overlap with the symbols slightly or are very close to each other.