Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 100

Thread: Font Library: Fantasy Maps

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Community Leader pyrandon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,346

    Link Font Library: Fantasy Maps

    Here is the first of what I hope is a large community-compiled library of favorite fonts for use on fantasy maps.

    When you post your favorites, please limit to a reasonable number (say 3 -4 or so); thereby this literally will both be a truly "favorite font" thread and the user won't be overwhelmed with too many choices.

    Anglo-Saxon Caps http://www.abstractfonts.com/font/1982

    Aniron http://www.thehutt.de/tolkien/fonts.html

    Caeldera http://www.blambot.com/fonts.shtml (scroll down in the left window to "Title Fonts")
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fantasy_fonts.jpg 
Views:	1060 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	582  
    Last edited by pyrandon; 08-02-2007 at 02:29 PM.
    Don
    GM, Westaven
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

  2. #2
    Guild Apprentice Joshua_101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    ON, Canada
    Posts
    42

    Default

    What a great idea!

    I really like that "Aniron" font and I think I might steal it.

    So I think I got all of mine at www.fontfreak.com because they have a large selection of both Mac and PC fonts available.

    BtW: Does anybody know of a dingbat font for map icons? Like a font that has castles, towers, cities, boats, sea monster, compass rose, etc, etc... I think that would be really useful because of a font's vector scalebility.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fantasy_fonts.jpg 
Views:	1688 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	1144  

  3. #3
    Community Leader NeonKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Surrey, Canada, EH!
    Posts
    5,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua_101 View Post
    What a great idea!

    I really like that "Aniron" font and I think I might steal it.

    So I think I got all of mine at www.fontfreak.com because they have a large selection of both Mac and PC fonts available.

    BtW: Does anybody know of a dingbat font for map icons? Like a font that has castles, towers, cities, boats, sea monster, compass rose, etc, etc... I think that would be really useful because of a font's vector scalebility.
    Closest I found was this:


    And this one of Floorplans of all things:

    http://fonts.lordkyl.net/archives/scpt/flrp.zip


    http://www.speakeasy.org/~ecf/midages.htm
    Last edited by NeonKnight; 10-17-2007 at 10:59 AM.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

    Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

    Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

  4. #4
    Administrator RobA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Niagara, Canada
    Posts
    5,567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua_101 View Post
    BtW: Does anybody know of a dingbat font for map icons? Like a font that has castles, towers, cities, boats, sea monster, compass rose, etc, etc... I think that would be really useful because of a font's vector scalebility.
    For more symbolic things, a nice font is Bullet Balls AOE on this page (plus a lot of other interesting symbols there.

    Attached is a sample...

    And some of the other dingbat/wingding fonts have basic symbols, like a plain compass rose....

    -Rob A>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BULLBUTT.GIF 
Views:	1906 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	1206  
    Last edited by RobA; 03-25-2008 at 04:16 PM.

  5. #5

    Default

    You can't go wrong with the Crazy Diamond font line (don't worry, it's short). They're all historical fonts. You've probably seen them before, actually, since the creators also created many of the paper props from the Harry Potter films (Italic Hand is Dumbledore's penmanship).

    http://www.crazydiamond.co.uk/fonts/fontlist.html

    17th Century Print is excellent for map notes on a legend.

    The Paul Llyod collection is also worth browsing:
    http://moorstation.org/typoasis/designers/lloyd/

    I especially like Graphis and Hominis (I can't direct link, but you can get to them easily from the above link).

  6. #6

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    You can't go wrong with the Crazy Diamond font line (don't worry, it's short). They're all historical fonts. You've probably seen them before, actually, since the creators also created many of the paper props from the Harry Potter films (Italic Hand is Dumbledore's penmanship).

    http://www.crazydiamond.co.uk/fonts/fontlist.html

    17th Century Print is excellent for map notes on a legend.

    The Paul Llyod collection is also worth browsing:
    http://moorstation.org/typoasis/designers/lloyd/

    I especially like Graphis and Hominis (I can't direct link, but you can get to them easily from the above link).
    The Crazy Diamond fonts are beautiful, but a little too expensive for me. You get what you pay for, I guess.
    The Paul Lloyd font site is great, I will have to dig around a little bit in that one.

    One of my favorite sites for fonts is Scriptorium
    http://www.fontcraft.com/csa/fontcraft.php
    They also sell their fonts, but you can often find a freeby to try out.
    Last edited by FlatEarth; 10-29-2007 at 05:21 PM.

  8. #8
    Guild Artisan töff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fresno, California USA
    Posts
    864

    Default

    BtW: Does anybody know of a dingbat font for map icons? Like a font that has castles, towers, cities, boats, sea monster, compass rose, etc, etc... I think that would be really useful because of a font's vector scalebility.
    The Autorealm font has map symbols. And I don't have a copy of the font now (used to). I think it comes bundled with the freeware.

  9. #9
    Guild Member Naryt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Utah, USA
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by töff View Post
    The Autorealm font has map symbols. And I don't have a copy of the font now (used to). I think it comes bundled with the freeware.
    Yes, it comes as part of the package.
    Innkeeper at the Darkwood Inn. The Foul Punster of the Cartographers' Guild!

    Better role playing than dragon slaying!

  10. #10
    Guild Artisan töff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fresno, California USA
    Posts
    864

    Default

    There's one called Carta, too, but it's like modern highway map icons.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •