Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Font Library: Fantasy Maps

i wonder if there are any condensed sources of information regarding the application of fonts -

once i read a post from someone who was font wise and wrote things like "if you want to impress american college educated people, use ----, for british people, use ----"

it's obvious to me that there are a class of fonts that are used in media and then there are a class of fonts that are given to end users online. eg. at the google link above (thanks!) half of those fonts are available for free under several different names.

i do believe diversity and non-standardisation is good, but while corporations are using standardisation to influence ideas, i want to have access to those semantics (admittedly for the point of whittling away at consumer obeisance..)

(i'm also amused by the way that masonic, evil google corp chooses to use the longer "grumpy wizards" preview instead of the more concise and decidedly more pleasant quick brown fox.. maybe it's the white/brown thing...)

Hi. It was this thread that brought me to the Cartographer's Guild so here's where I make my first contribution.
    I've found these. They may, of course, already be familiar to you, but hey, I'm a newbie so I get to be stupid for a while.
    Hill Country Font Download
    FontRiver.com - Search (maybe you have railways!)
    ShipsNBoats Font Download
    WM Architect 1 Font Download
    Famous Buildings Font Download
    Columns Font Download
    Armorial Font Download
    Destiny Little Houses Font Download
    001 Medieval Daze Font Download
    Hope I've added something to the thread. Colin.

Here is another nice set of Calligraphy fonts for maps. Please note they are provided for non-commercial use, but you can purchase licences for commercial use:

Pia Frauss -- Fonts

-Rob A>

Ah, these are nice fonts. Now I recognize that I've waited for those all the years. Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by xoxos View Post
    i wonder if there are any condensed sources of information regarding the application of fonts -

once i read a post from someone who was font wise and wrote things like "if you want to impress american college educated people, use ----, for british people, use ----"

it's obvious to me that there are a class of fonts that are used in media and then there are a class of fonts that are given to end users online. eg. at the google link above (thanks!) half of those fonts are available for free under several different names.

i do believe diversity and non-standardisation is good, but while corporations are using standardisation to influence ideas, i want to have access to those semantics (admittedly for the point of whittling away at consumer obeisance..)
    There are any number of books about typography with useful information in them. I can share a bit of what I learned from my art school classes, although my typography class itself was a joke.

Regarding the technical merits of a font, serif fonts tend to be easier to read in large blocks, which is why newspapers commonly use variants on Times, a font that was designed for the New York Times to make it as easy to read as possible. Book publishers often use Garamond or something similar for the same reason. These fonts need to be very well designed, with kerning pairs and ligatures that aid in readability, and glyphs for a variety of languages.

The other main concern with font selection is the emotional reaction, which you refer to above. Sans serif fonts (sometimes called grotesque, amusingly) usually feel more modern and clean. Helvetica and Arial are the headliners in this category. They have a more forward-looking personality thanks to their association with word-processing and the Internet. People often think that serif fonts have a slightly retro look, but they also evoke a sense of professionalism and stability. A lawyer will be drawn to serif fonts, especially the type with angular serifs like Times, because they lend a certain sense of authority to words written with them.

Slab serifs, which have large serifs that don't taper, are also called Egyptian because they arose around the same time that everyone was getting excited over Tutankhamen. The association stuck, and they frequently evoke the 18th and 19th centuries. Use a slab serif to sell an industrial revolution advertisement or theater poster. Due to their overly strong serifs, they are very confident fonts.

I could probably go on a while longer, but I need to get back to work!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quite a good surprise for me : excellent and beautiful fonts... with accents !!!
    That's so rare to find original and good fonts not designed only for english.

So, thanks a lot RobA!

Can someone with more experience write up a thread about licensing fonts for commercial use? I've been talking to Nate Piekos at Blambot about licensing some fonts and he's been great. For some of us it may not be immediately apparent when and how licensing a font works. Font designers need our cash!

There actually was a recent discussion on that very topic: http://www.cartographersguild.com/ge...ting-sued.html
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast