Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tutorial Request

Question Tutorial Request

I am making buildings for a map in Photoshop CS4, and I want them to have like a gradient and a texture so they look realistic, rather than just one colored blocks. Can somebody please make a tutorial on this, or post a link to a tutorial or something? Heres an example of what im talking about:
    Eabrek23

-"All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us."-
    -J.R.R. Tolkien-

Except I dont want the texture to be scribbly lines like that, I want like shingles sort of.
    Eabrek23

-J.R.R. Tolkien-

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Ah, Wolfdell by Delgondahntelius. That's a hand-drawn style on paper with pen. I believe that he colored it in Photoshop but that's all. You can read his tut here. Recreating that completely in PS would be difficult without a tablet, I've tried. He hasn't been around in a while so hopefully he's in lurk mode and will see this.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Wow, I never thought it would be a hand drawn map. Thats impressive. I am not that much into hand drawn, all I have is a few pencils and pens, but not half that much.
    Eabrek23

-J.R.R. Tolkien-

This is pretty much what I'm looking for, but I want to do it in Photoshop and not hand draw it unless its with a drawing tablet.
    Eabrek23

-J.R.R. Tolkien-

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=5181
    Ok the map in this link, since posting that pic didnt work.
    Eabrek23

-J.R.R. Tolkien-

That's a Torstan map. He draws his maps with a tablet. There isn't any easy way to replicate that without practice, practice, practice. Basically, sketch it out, refine it, then "ink" it, then color it. If you can sketch faster with paper and pencil (like me) then do that and then scan it in for the ink and color. I always start with some terrain...hills, mountains, rivers, ponds, etc. That will give me an idea as to where to place my roads. Once the roads are in I have a better idea of how the town will be laid out. Then I put in the various sections for nobles, merchants, etc. and lastly pretty it all up.
    Last edited by Ascension; 10-11-2009 at 03:46 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

So basically the only way I can get my desired effect is to hand draw it , and figure out some way to put the gradient in?
    Eabrek23

-J.R.R. Tolkien-

You can always do shading with the burn tool. It just darkens up the underlying color.

I don't use Photoshop, but I suspect you can paste PNG and JPG images into it. If so, you can find large collections of buildings of the type you're seeking on the forums at

http://www.dundjinni.com

in the libraries at:

http://www.rpgmapshare.com/

and finally in our own growing collection of clay tile, slate and wood shingle roofs at:

http://www.vintyri.com

So ... no, I don't think you have to draw all of them yourself.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast