Thread: Guildmasters - Help with terrain

Post Guildmasters - Help with terrain

Hello there its been a while guys my old project (earen) is being finished by some friends (they insisted so i hand them the setting) i am now working on a new setting and trying a different style for the map.... first i drew it by hand and then in photoshop... everything is well except i really do not know what type of mountains or forests to use that would match the style of the map... i tried my old mountains and forests and they do not look pretty. The dark brown area is a barren wasteland while the more light brownish one is a desert... the green areas are just grasslands and of course the white areas is ice... what style of mountains and forests would best suit this map?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	original.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	271.9 KB 
ID:	17616   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	608.9 KB 
ID:	17617   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	worldmap.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	17618   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	worldmap2.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	17619  

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

With the textured paper look you have there, I think a hand-drawn style would look best. There are bunches of brushes and tutorials in the Mapping Resources section of the forums if hand-drawing them is intimidating (like it would be for me ).

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'll second that but point you to the Elements section for brushes or Reference section for ideas.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

hmmm I have the feeling I am looking at a aged stone wall with this map painted on it. I would keep that stone look moving forward but it could go either graphic or illustrative for the details...Me I preferr a painted, graphical look to maps but thats what I preferr to make, I find things to appreciate in either style though and I think either way would work for this.
    My debut novel, The Final Warden is available on Amazon.com in paperback and on Kindle.

Please visit my blog for more information about my writing and my art

Please visit my sketchbook on Conceptart.org
    TomCardin

Thank you all for your replies.... ive decided to go with a more hand drawn map rather than "carved in stone" map... heres a small sample of the mountains
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	worldmap3.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	17797  

I like the idea of stone. It looks like something found on a Roman Villa or Government building.

I love the shapes of your landmasses! I'm seeing something aged on an old canvas... Something painted, but flexible, like maybe it once hung in the war room of some long-forgotten kingdom or in the classroom of what was once a great university... I'm thinking the mountains and forests might be something in that same vein, painted representations, as opposed to drawn mountain symbols or individual trees...

That's just me, though.