Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [taken][unpaid]World Map

Post [taken][unpaid]World Map

Hi all,

First off, I nearly had a heart attack when I found out this forum existed and had a category for requests. I'm busy programming a game, and I've always wanted a really nice map to go with it. I do have one here, but as you can see it isn't really that professional looking.

I was sincerely hoping someone wouldn't mind taking a request to do my map, but here are some specifications you might need if you accept:

- There is absolutely no time limit.
    - I would like it done in a style similar to this one if possible (where I actually learned about the guild).
    - The map would be done mostly like the one above. It could use a few minor touches (more realistic coastlines, better island dotting, just things to make it look more realistic overall). If you notice on the map of similar style, it has some small bits of bodies of water. That would be extremely nice to.
    - The map would be completely plain. By this, I mean there doesn't need ot be any height applications to it (no mountains, hills, etc). Just a flat map with the names of regions on it. No rivers on it either.
    - While it is a rectangular map, the diameter of the plant (Perdith) is about 6,000 miles. I would like the dimensions to be 1,000 by 800 Pixels.
    - The artist would be free to do things as he sees fit. If you want to add a small inlet somewhere, that's fine, or extend some part of the mainland, that's fine too. Small alterations to the map that help it look more realistic are welcomed.

I'd want the right to freely distribute the image physically and electronically. I'd want the right to use the image commercially. I'd want exclusive commercial right to it's usage, but the artist would retain the right to display or sell it as a work of art. I'd retain the right to reproduce the image in full, or in part, on my own or through a commission with another artist. I will be getting a copyright for both my game and all content associated (therefore the map too).

I am new here, so I hope I made that clear enough, and thanks so much to anyone who doesn't mind creating it for me.

Also, I do want to have several maps made in the future. I just do not have the money to really pay for good quality images while I'm in college and coding. I'd be willing in the future to pay for several maps done professionally to give my players the best gaming experience possible.

If you need any more information, I'd be more than happy to try and give some.
    Last edited by Karthis; 10-13-2009 at 07:56 PM.

I'm not sure what you are looking for (sorry).

Are you desiring a redraw of your existing map in the style of the one on deviantART?

If you don't want any terrain or rivers or features, then your existing map is 99% there, just colouring and clearer labeling?

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    I'm not sure what you are looking for (sorry).

Are you desiring a redraw of your existing map in the style of the one on deviantART?

If you don't want any terrain or rivers or features, then your existing map is 99% there, just colouring and clearer labeling?

-Rob A>
    That's pretty much what it is (sorry for not being clear). I'd just like it done in a style similar to the one I showed from deviantart if possible, so it looks more like a map, instead of a picture (if you get what I mean). I had that map made by a friend, because my drawing skills on a computer are 3 points under 0. I tried once to make it look better myself, and that ended up worse that what it looks like now.

And in addition to that, just making it look more like a map with slight features (little inlets, the coastlines, better island spotting) wherever the map maker chooses, because I'm sure they would have a better opinion of where those things should go than me. The whole aim is to make it look more like a realistic map should (minus height and rivers). Again, I appreciate anyone who helps.
    Last edited by Karthis; 10-13-2009 at 07:55 PM.

I gave it a quick shot during my lunch break today, but I used slightly different colors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	karthis.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	349.0 KB 
ID:	17685  

Quote Originally Posted by Tear View Post
    I gave it a quick shot during my lunch break today, but I used slightly different colors.
    Thank you so much. It's more than perfect. I hope I garner enough income in the future off my game to give a handsome donation to the forum, cause this really is a wonderful place.
    Last edited by Karthis; 10-15-2009 at 02:13 AM.

Blog Entries

WTF?! You did this in a lunch break?

Fantastic stuff.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Thanks. Yes I did.

I took the outlines of the existing map and put them through a slight variation of RobA's coastline tutorial in Photoshop to roughen them up a bit.
    I painted the small islands with the tablet.
    Then I applied some vanilla filters and reused some textures I had lying around from older projects.
    The nation border style is just a path that I stroked several times with different brushes.

Remember Karthis just needed the coastlines. No rivers, no vegetation, no elevation. That's the main reason for me being able to do it rather quickly.
    Last edited by Tear; 10-15-2009 at 06:34 AM.

Thanks. Yes I did.

I took the outlines of the existing map and put them through a slight variation of RobA's coastline tutorial in Photoshop to roughen them up a bit.
    I painted the small islands with the tablet.
    Then I applied some vanilla filters and reused some textures I had lying around from older projects.
    The nation border style is just a path that I stroked several times with different brushes.

Remember Karthis just needed the coastlines. No rivers, no vegetation, no elevation. That's the main reason for me being able to do it rather quickly.
    It was still done wonderfully .

I'm glad you like it.

How would I go about adding more cities to the map in the same manner as you did on it? I'd like to add more now that I know where I want them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast