Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first map.

Guild Member

Wow! what an improvement since last I looked over here. Looks like you're picking it up quickly and that's great. These guys are awesome for learning from and I'm certainly happy to have found this place.
    The Tangled Web A community for players and DMs of online pen and paper style roleplaying.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Nice work! Could I suggest as a next step that you change the black in your picture to a dark grey...I believe it might help.

Ravs
    Hey Ravells, thanks for the tip. You mean the black that I just added for shadows right? Change that black to dark grey?

I'd also straighten the land-end of the dock out so it does not exactly follow the land contour: much more believable I'll bet.

Great improvements!!!! Keep it up!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Quote Originally Posted by crazybear View Post
    Hey Ravells, thanks for the tip. You mean the black that I just added for shadows right? Change that black to dark grey?
    I was thinking of all of the black, the coast outline and the the lines on the dock. Your map has a natural feel to it, and because pure black rarely occurs in nature, it jars a bit (for me) in the picture. If you really wanted to go to town, rather than a dark grey, you could use a dark version of the colour mixed with a dark version of the adjacent colour - so for example a dark greeny / blue for the coastline. The best thing to do is to have a play to see what works for you.

Ravs

Quote Originally Posted by pyrandon View Post
    I'd also straighten the land-end of the dock out so it does not exactly follow the land contour: much more believable I'll bet.

Great improvements!!!! Keep it up!
    Thanks Pyradon,

By the way, I made the dock pattern following the instructions you gave in your Thracioth map walk-through for making the trees pattern. It turned out really great I thought, and never realized I could make something like that. Thanks for the great walkthough!

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I was thinking of all of the black, the coast outline and the the lines on the dock. Your map has a natural feel to it, and because pure black rarely occurs in nature, it jars a bit (for me) in the picture. If you really wanted to go to town, rather than a dark grey, you could use a dark version of the colour mixed with a dark version of the adjacent colour - so for example a dark greeny / blue for the coastline. The best thing to do is to have a play to see what works for you.

Ravs
    Okay, I took your advice and here is the result. What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nice looking map so far5.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	301.3 KB 
ID:	655  

It's much better, but I was thinking of all the black - even the grouting on the dock itself. You can afford to go quite dark (much darker than you have) but not quite black.

Quick example below (not as good as yours, but to illustrate). In the picture above I have used black for all outlines. In the picture below I have used a very dark blue green for the coastline, a very dark yellow for the edge of the dock and a very dark red for the dock grouting. You can see how the effect is much softer, whereas the black stands out a mile in the picture above and tends to dominate (which is great if that is what you're after).

Ravs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dock.png 
Views:	117 
Size:	822.7 KB 
ID:	656  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12