Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terra incognita 3

Map Terra incognita 3

This is my map finished, with two versions : crumpled paper and folded papier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CC3 Terra incognita 3 V2 papier froissé.jpg 
Views:	1377 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	17629   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CC3 Terra incognita 3 V2 papier plié.jpg 
Views:	745 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	17630  
    Noon

My website : http://www.lechemindenoon.com
    A project of role play (with my maps): www.rhim.fr

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nicely done!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Looks good. A few points of minor critique:

The crumpled/folded textures are nice, but they do look a little odd continued onto the border. If the borders are meant to be a part of the paper that's crumpled/folded, I guess I'd expect them to be less saturated in color, similar to the rest of the map.

The other issue with the crumple/fold texture: the image of the map itself does not appear crumpled/folded to the degree that the texture overlaying it suggests. It's a little more difficult to do, but maybe try distorting the map image to follow the folds/creases of the crumple or fold texture. On the hows to do that, I can't really give you more detail (I'm fairly noobish at this stuff myself) but there are those on the boards who probably have that skill and can share it.

For one, you might be able to take the image, exported from CC3, then bring it into GIMP (free) to do some detail work like that. I believe RobA, then, would be able to give you a step-by-step on how to distort it to follow those folds, if you're interested.

Anyway, a fine map just the same.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Thank you again, Karro.

I agree with you, I also found that the map was not crumpled enough.
    In fact, I exported the map to Gimp, then I applied the textures of paper, using the Multiply function. But I don't know how to use Gimp more than that.

I am learning slowly :-D
    Noon

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Try making a copy of your texture layer, using the emboss filter (Filters -> Distort -> Emboss) on the copy (azimuth 135, height 30, play with the depth settings to find the right one; I'd guess probably 5 or 10), and then setting the embossed layer's mode to overlay. That might help make the map itself look crumpled.

Gidde : I tried the emboss filter. If I understand correctly, it enhances the texture on which it is applied.
    I like the result.
    Well, I'll go to bed having learned something today
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CC3 Terra incognita 3 V3 papier froissé.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	17740  
    Noon

Quote Originally Posted by Noon View Post
    Thank you again, Karro.

I agree with you, I also found that the map was not crumpled enough.
    In fact, I exported the map to Gimp, then I applied the textures of paper, using the Multiply function. But I don't know how to use Gimp more than that.

I am learning slowly :-D
    That's what this place is for. If you get a chance to pick RobA's brain for some GIMP tips, it'll be time well-spent. But best to have specific questions, I think, if you plan to ask him directly, so he can give specific answers (best to respect his time, I figure).

Anyway... even if you don't plan to use RobA's mapping style, I'd suggest taking a crack at his Regional Map tutorial. If you run through those steps you'll learn more than just how to map in his style: you'll learn a lot about how to use GIMP.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

I feel I have been summoned

As Karro stated, using a crumple texture adds texture but bothers the eye a bit, because the lines don't follow the texture.

In Gimp, use Filters->Map->Displace to get the displacement map filter, and select the crumple texture for both the X and Y distortion. The values should be kept small, and the sign will depend on the direction of light in the crumple.

Here is an example using a crumple multiplied over a green checkerboard. In the lower half, I also applied a small (2 px in this case) displace.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sample.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	270.1 KB 
ID:	17743

This really works well if you have a canvas texture overlayed. A small displace (fractional pixel, even) is enough to fool the eye:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sample2.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	135.6 KB 
ID:	17744

Nice map!

-Rob A>

That's what I meant about RobA!

I knew it had to do with the displace filter, but hadn't used it recently so couldn't remember precisely.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected AslanC's Avatar

Bravo! Excellent maps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast