Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: October Entry - Gromet and Friends vs Caravan Raiders

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Wip October Entry - Gromet and Friends vs Caravan Raiders

Heck with it, the more stuff I have going on, the busier I am, and the more distracted I am from my situation, which is good.

I decided to take a different tack on this one. I'm going to continue with Gromet and Co. from the previous challenge. This time they have been hired to protect trade caravans, and find the bandits themselves and deal with them. Only this time they made their own darn map Seeing as Gromet is the mapmaker, I figured I would hand-draw this time.

I'm actually going to include several maps on this one. First map, being posted now, is the regional map showing the general terrain and the caravan route between 2 major towns (working notes are still visible, and there's going to be a mountain chain down the middle-right) - also marked will be raiding party encounters.

I'll have at least 2 more maps, one of the mountainous region where they encounter the bandits for the first time, and another for the bandit camp itself while they plan out their approach.

This is fun, I haven't done a hand-drawn map for.. almost 25 years. Woah.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	368.0 KB 
ID:	17640  

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Post Hmmm.

I wondering if my "Not a Challenge Map" is influencing you at all, in going the hand-drawn route - I think its a great tack and am glad you are trying it, just wondering is all???

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Actually no, I was planning this almost from the moment I heard we were doing a Trade theme. I just held off on doing anything becsause I have a few other projects (some of them paid) on the go right now.

Ever since I started work on the Transylvania map, I've been wanting to try my hand at a hand-drawn version of one of these.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

These mountains should look familiar to anyone who's seen the last few maps I've done Farms, a few more forests, and I'm ready to start laying in the groundwork for the other maps! yay!

[edit] Farms added, decided on no forests to the east of the mountains, it's all grassland - i *think* that comes across wih the symbols. Plus the Octoclops makes a reappearance!!

Reuploading since there's not *that* many new features.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-5.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	17643  
    Last edited by Coyotemax; 10-13-2009 at 12:40 AM.

My finished maps

The village of Ramah?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Wish I had a few extra bucks to get a scanner I might try me a hand drawn map myself. Looking like a fun little 'project'.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    Plus the Octoclops makes a reappearance!!
    Hooray!!!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Hmm, I thought the grassland symbols were swamp symbols until I reread your post.

Other than that, this looks great!

I was a bit surprised that it was Gromet who got tapped to do the mapmaking, although I suppose he showed his talent to the group with his dancing girl

I was trying to come up with something to represent the grasslands.. either I'll leave it the way it is and mark it prairie, or maybe call that region swamp (it doesn't play into the other maps anyhow, so no worries there).

I also had it pointed out to me that the names appear elsewhere. Apparently Harn is the name of somewhere (and has an rpg named after it) and I realize now that Ramah is a username off the forum.. whee! I was just making things up as I went. I suppose there might have been something subconscious going on, but heck with it, the names stay as they are!

I have the first encounter map finished (mostly) but not scanned yet. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to do one of the mountain pass or not, or just go straight to the bandit camp from here. I figure a half decent tracker should be able to follow them back home.

The other thing I'm trying to figure out is how to add everyone's comments along with the map. I'm likely going to break down at some point and start working things over in photoshop, especially for font work. I'm not that great at emulating other styles of handwriting - especially neat ones, lol

I'm definitely considering working it over for textures (parchment, etc) if nothing else.

My finished maps

Nice to have you as competition Coyote... and any Idea theft that may have happened was purely trans-global psychic powers...
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Blog Entries

CoyoteMax has moved to the loftiest regions of my "steal-from" list.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast