Thread: October Entry - Market square in ancient China

Guild Member

Post October Entry - Market square in ancient China

A beautiful morning, with a light breeze sweeping through the town of Nao, lifting here and there the odd cloud of dust. Today, just like any other day, the heroes were going about their business around the market. A sizeable but not unusually large crowd of people wandered between the stalls of local merchants and the tents of travelling salesmen coming to Nao for a day or two. The air was filled with the cries of storekeepers hawking their wares, and other sights, sounds and smells of the town. Where the street met an alley, not far from the entrance to one of the mansions around the market square, in front of a stall where delicious snacks were being prepared, the small party met up, called out to each other and stopped for a chat. As they wandered round the stalls, they admired the exotic wares from all seven states. Silk robes, colourful fruit, mysterious statuettes, penjing trees... just about anything one's heart desires could be found at the Nao market. Suddenly, they noticed another group arrive. It was Tong, adopted son of the local martial-arts shifu, Left Hand, and ten of his regular drinking companions. They strode into the square, looking for someone, staring impudently at each face in turn, and even knocked some passersby out of their way. Then, they noticed the heroes. Tong led his group slowly but surely toward the heroes and stopped a few meters away. He furrowed his brow, put his hands on his hips and said to them sharply: “For shame! Trying to rob me, taking what is rightfully mine! You think you’re better than me, don’t you? Little ****s, tell me where they are or you’re in for a rough time!” The heroes were about to get into a fight...

(Adapted from Toward a World of Forests and Lakes, Qin the Warring States core book)

The creation of the battle map below involved a lot of rendering, work in Campaign Cartographer / Dungeon Designer 3 and some finishing touches in Photoshop. I hope, you'll like it.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nao_market_091014.jpg 
Views:	560 
Size:	4.20 MB 
ID:	17699  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks pretty nice, you should have the people in it as well...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

A little rectilinear for my tastes, but I could see this being useful.

Cheers,
    Roger

I think it looks great!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Guild Member

Thank you for your comments

@ Steel General: I'd like to use this battle map in a future campaign. Once combat starts, the PC's and NPC's will be moving around. I therefore prefer not to include any symbols representing the people on the market square. But if desired, I can show you a version of the map with grid and tokens.

@ Roger: I see you point and have therefore decided to slightly rotate the market stalls as well as some other symbols. I hope this helps.

The latest WIP can be found below.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	nao_market_091017.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	4.21 MB 
ID:	17800  

Guild Member

Discovered a minor error (shadow on the rooftop in the middle of the map's lower part facing the wrong direction).

Corrected. Next WIP.

Cheers,

Mogul76

Name:	nao_market_091017_v2.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	4.21 MB 
ID:	17807  

OMG!!! Thank you!!

I was feeling sorry because I was having a hard time to find battle/campaign maps for my Qin Rpg games... and then I find this.
    Its nice and very useful for me. (In fact I´m starting de core rulebook adventure, and this map is perfect for the marketplace in Nao)

Thanks very much. I really hope that you post more asian themed maps in the future
    Last edited by Konrad Oldenhaller; 12-24-2013 at 05:24 AM.