Thread: Hellantis' Basement

Guild Member

Wip Hellantis' Basement

We had a fellow submit another event for use in Masters Court and I've begin work on it. I'm using the techniques outlined in the tutorial I posted and figured that this would be a good accompaniment to that post so far as images go.

For information about the event this is for, you can read the following post. http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/...?p=33615#33615

I'm attaching images that show how i first drew my rooms as simple boxes, then a main floor layer, outlined the walls in black using selection tools and layers, then I textured all the floors and beveled/textured the walls. The circles are markers for where doors should go. ((I'm converting a sketch he made me, the original concept can be seen in the thread i linked to above.))

It took about an hour to get to the point I'm pausing at tonight but, I was also distracted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dungeonTutorial1.png 
Views:	255 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	590   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dungeonTutorial2.png 
Views:	167 
Size:	452.7 KB 
ID:	591   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hellantisProgress1.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	592  
    The Tangled Web A community for players and DMs of online pen and paper style roleplaying.

Guild Member

Well, I made a few jumps today and didn't screen shot anything in bewtween but... all i really added was a layer for doors and the weird groundcovers in each large room. I really need to work on my doors... I can never get them looking just right. I also need to go back and redo the doorknobs layer. I forgot one or two and also misaligned some.

Also... I added a satin effect to the entire main floor to darken it and then added a bit of drop shadow to the walls layer. This made the shadows outside the map too so... I changed the BG color to black in order to hide them and... it changed the whole ambiance of the image. For the better i think.

Anyway... it's back to work tomorrow so... might not see much for a few days.

The Tangled Web A community for players and DMs of online pen and paper style roleplaying.

Coming along nicely. I like the mood of the map--very foreboding!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

I'm not sure about the lighting effect applied to the doors - the lighting looks "backwards" to my eyes... (but it could just be one of those cube is sticking in/pointing out illusions)

-Rob A>

It's a nice looking map, but I do agree that the doors do look a little odd. They seem to be a little more crisp while everything else has a slight blur to it.

Still, the overall effect of the map is rather nice!