Thread: Evermore - Regional Map

Guild Novice

Post Evermore - Regional Map

Hello, I'm pretty new here so I figured I'd post a map I'm currently working on. I used Ascension's Atlas Style Tutorial as my base and am now adding what I hope to be some final touches.

I'm not too happy with my border around the ocean area and am trying various things to get it to look right... but my novice PS skills are hindering me at the moment.

I'm all up for some CC and pointers on how I can make improvements. Oh and no need to go easy, even though I am a complete noob when it comes to map making

Thanks for looking!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	world-concept-3.png 
Views:	168 
Size:	4.23 MB 
ID:	17729  

I really like the textures you used, but I like the colors even more. The rivers look complex and irregular, they are great.
    What is the name of the font you used for the "crazy" lettering? They remind me of a duck family I used to know.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks good to me.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

The only suggestion I have is to maybe reduce the opacity a bit on your coastline stroke; it's a little harsh compared to the watercolor-like look you have on the rest of the map. Other than that, I really like the style. Way to take a tutorial and put your own touches on the product

I have to echo a few of the previous comments--great textures, colors, and font. The coast is okay but it might look better if it weren't as bright (you could try reducing the opacity as Gidde suggested, or another method...whatever works). And I'm not sure about the logic of the salt marsh...specifically the fact that there appear to be rivers leading from the desert to the sea. Where do the rivers get their water from?

I'm a noob too, so take my advice with the necessary grains of salt!

Guild Novice

Thanks for the feedback! I lightened up the border around the land. I think it fits much better now.

As for the marsh I added a river coming down from the mountains in the NE skirting around the marsh and joining with the one to the south. I'm not sure I like it so I might end up changing it later on but it does make more sense having something their to feed the marsh. Unless I can come up with a good reason for not having the river...

The font I used was Tengwar Teleri. I got it from dafont.com.

Here's a new upload with the changes added to it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	world-concept-4.png 
Views:	129 
Size:	4.23 MB 
ID:	17738  

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Very cool... I like this style and where you seem to be going with it.

Also... cool, almost... I don't know, maybe arabic-seeming tengwar font. Very nice.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like it, good stuff.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps