Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Moon

Post A Moon

I had started dabbling with an idea for the October challenge, that needed a moon.

After searching high and low for decent images, then wasting an hour looking for dem data, I resorted to POVRay and got the three following variants...

Just using a texture map (wrinkles and granite pigment maps):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moon1.png 
Views:	117 
Size:	158.8 KB 
ID:	17773

The same with a wrinkles and granite bump map:

Name:	moon_bump.png 
Views:	185 
Size:	186.1 KB 
ID:	17774

The same pigment, but with an rendered isosurface (mathematically combining a sphere with the wrinkle and granite pigments converted to functions):

Name:	moon_iso.png 
Views:	114 
Size:	293.6 KB 
ID:	17775

I couldn't believe the improvement with the isosurface over normal rendering (but the rendering time confirmed the additional detail!)

All thee used a POVRay include file I found called RealSky (down at the bottom) that has all the stars visible to the human eye.

And since I am posting in the Elements forum, here is one with a transparent BG to use as you please:

Name:	moon.png 
Views:	162 
Size:	298.9 KB 
ID:	17776

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

That's pretty cool-looking...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Nice results from those textures.

I had a similar project for this holloween. Here's the moon I made using 3DS Max.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moon.png 
Views:	729 
Size:	335.7 KB 
ID:	17784  
    My debut novel, The Final Warden is available on Amazon.com in paperback and on Kindle.

Please visit my blog for more information about my writing and my art

Please visit my sketchbook on Conceptart.org
    TomCardin

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Oooh those are both pretty.

*steals both to use as boulder traps in the next dungeon map - hah!*

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

They do look great!

I used to use POVRay a lot back before they added the GUI. I even made a simple animation with it. The GUI made it completely unintelligible to me, though, and I haven't used it since.

I haven't looked at it for a few years, though. Hopefully the interface has improved.
    Selden

Guild Adept

I like RobA's second moon. The texture sort of reminds me of a desaturated Vorlon ship hull.

Both are excellent resources.

Quote Originally Posted by selden View Post
    They do look great!

I used to use POVRay a lot back before they added the GUI. I even made a simple animation with it. The GUI made it completely unintelligible to me, though, and I haven't used it since.

I haven't looked at it for a few years, though. Hopefully the interface has improved.
    There's a gui?

WinPov has a file editor with syntax highlighting, but that is it that I have.

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

... I even made a simple animation with it...
    There was a guy on the CivFanatics boards who made all kinds of animated units with POV-Ray
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    There's a gui?

WinPov has a file editor with syntax highlighting, but that is it that I have.

-Rob A>
    That's what I'm referring to. I started with DKBTrace on an Amiga and later POVRay v2 under Windows. Those programs interpreted text files that had to be created with your favorite text editor. For some reason, the design choices they made for POVRay v3 confused me completely. I managed to find other ways to accomplish what I wanted, though. No biggie.
    Selden

That's what I'm referring to. I started with DKBTrace on an Amiga and later POVRay v2 under Windows. Those programs interpreted text files that had to be created with your favorite text editor. For some reason, the design choices they made for POVRay v3 confused me completely. I managed to find other ways to accomplish what I wanted, though. No biggie.
    Ah- I thought you meant a GUI like blender or something.

-Rob A>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast