Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oxidenia

Map Oxidenia

Here's another map I made with CC3. It represents a region of a world invented by a friend of mine, in order to write a book.
    NB : this friend had added a crumpled paper effect on the map, but I can not find the file.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	empire politique v2 avec texte.JPG 
Views:	529 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	17564  
    Noon

My website : http://www.lechemindenoon.com
    A project of role play (with my maps): www.rhim.fr

Looks pretty nice. Are the symbols for the towns homemade?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

No, the symbols are from the Symbol Set 1 Fantasy Overland.
    For the moment, I have not created my own symbols, but it will come ;-)
    Noon

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

A nice little map...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

That is a very well executed CC3 map! Great job!
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

I like it, but it seems a little blurred at 100%. Don't know if it's just me, or if it was intended (by symbols, etc)?

Thank you all.
    Sirith : it is one of my first maps and I have not yet mastered the blur effect. I also think that I compressed a little too the jpeg file.
    Noon

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

My only thoughts, and these are minor points:

I see what I think are major borders (double line) and minor borders (thick dotted line), I suppose dividing countries on the former and states/provinces on the latter. And while most of this map seems to consist of one nation/empire, the symbols suggest that within this nation are a vast variety of cultures thrown together in a rather haphazard manner.

For instance: Lonholège looks like a super-tall pagoda, which implies a heavily chinese-influenced culture. Nehamar, meanwhile, is full of onion-domes, which suggests a very mideastern or Russian/Slavik/Eastern-European influence. Colthor looks like a traditional British/Western-European Motte-and-bailey castle, and various others look like Western European towns or mideastern, Byzantine/Ottoman Empire. It's hard to say how realistic we might expect this to be without a better sense of the scale, but it strikes me as immediately a little odd.

Added to that is the nature of the naming convention. Across this entire area, we see towns and cities ending with "-thor", "-tire", and "-stag". Having consistent endings like this does a lot to tie together the cities in the area thematically as a unified culture, but this belies the suggestion of different cultures made by the different symbols. Further, the thors, tires, and stags don't closely cluster in certain regions, but are roughly evenly distributed across this nation, which might be just fine, except to my sense the three endings suggest three very different cultures, although that might not be the intention. (Certainly, an Empire might easily contain peoples of many different cultures, but one would expect those cultures to be clustered together geographically.)

Anyway, none of this is bad, per se, just an observation. All in all, a very good map, particularly for CC3, IMO.
    Last edited by Karro; 10-15-2009 at 12:18 PM.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Karro, thank you for taking the time to have made these comments.
    Oxidenia is only a continent of an entire planet, but I do not know the scale.
    I will relay to my friend who invented this world, because I think it will interest him.
    Noon

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Noon View Post
    Karro, thank you for taking the time to have made these comments.
    Oxidenia is only a continent of an entire planet, but I do not know the scale.
    I will relay to my friend who invented this world, because I think it will interest him.
    Hey, it's not a serious issue, just a bunch of related thoughts.

So... by the different icons (the pagoda, onion-dome-city, etc.) are you intending to evoke different cultures contained within this empire/nation?
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast