Thread: Help with buildings

Help Help with buildings

I've been trying to make buildings using a bevel in the layer styles in PS, but it looks too 3D-ish, so I want to add a line over the bevel edges. It looks good, but I have alot of buildings, and adding individual lines one by one is taking FOREVER!! Does anyone know how to do this quicker? I've gotten a tip from RobA, but it was in GIMP and didn't work in PS very well.
    Eabrek23

-"All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us."-
    -J.R.R. Tolkien-

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The only thing that I can think of is to merge all of the buildings onto one layer then use filter - stylize - find edges. I don't think it will produce anything all that great but it might work. Otherwise ya gotta do it by hand, make up a bunch of your own to copy/paste, or see if they have any at the various websites we talk about a lot (Dunjinni user forums, rpgmapshare, etc).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

can you post a little sample.
    I think if the buildings can be selected, then the selection is reduced by the same amount as the bevel, then create a new layer, fill the smaller selection with white, give that layer a stroke of black then multiply that layer with the layer below, you should have a line that follows the contour of the building but a set number of pixels in.

Heres a sample of what I want:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Example 2.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	17793  
    Eabrek23

-"All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us."-
    -J.R.R. Tolkien-

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

If you have standard sizes for the buildings and they're not rotated, you could make a brush for the lines and stamp them in. If you have them rotated but mostly in the same directions, you can still do that. of course this assumes they're mostly the same size too

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Yeah, you could do that. Draw lines for a bunch of different type of houses, turn em into a brush, plop em down, then bucket fill the empty space in your fave colors/shades.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

mt Idea wouldn't work now that I see what you are doing.
    Since you have illustrator why not set up 3-4 buildings then copy paste them til you have all the buildings you want, then copy them into PS. That seems like it would be the easiest way.
    You can even take your PS file into illustrator as a template and place all the buildings in illustrator, then copy all the buildings into PS at once and do any last minute tweaking.