Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: October Entry: Risky Business

Wip October Entry: Risky Business

Alright little Background:

Map is of a time in our galaxy after humans have become intergalactic. Only two species have been discovered The Vermith Union and Kragar Empire. This particular map is for a human Captain of a trade ship that also deals in illicit smuggling operations. On top of this due to the war and the shear volume of traders, it is very dificult for an indipendant captain to make a living. So our Captain here also looks for new sources of trade goods and material.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OCT Entry.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	449.9 KB 
ID:	17819  

Guild Adept

First of all, cool avatar. Love Mass Effect and that particular alien species (Turian?) is cool as all get out.

Second of all, I like the map a lot. How do you get such cool looking asteroids?

If I had any critique at all, it would be the fun house swirl for the central accretion. Just my own opinion of course.

The numbers in the chemical formulas should be subscripts, although that may be impractical due to software limitations. In the upper right hand text: "Gama" should have two "m"s. "Dock&shuttle" is missing spaces around the ampersand. Capitalization is a bit random; I recommend going over the whole thing to consider changes.

"Analysis" has the "y" and "i" switched in the text in the top middle. In the same text area, "continuum" is missing a "u".

The asteroids are indeed visually appealing, although unrealistic. Very George Lucas.

It certainly captures the theme of the challenge and handles the difficulty of a "space map" well by focusing on routes. I'm liking it.

Looks good. My nitpick is that the green text isn't always very readable. Especially in the center of the image. Otherwise, pretty darn cool!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

K I'll work on the Spelling problems, Being dyslexic makes these mistakes common the Capitalization issue however is a problem I have that I am unsure where it came from thanks for pooring over the text.

I'll see what I can do bout the asteroids...

The Chemical formulas are hard to impose Subscript due to Software limitations. But I'll work on this as well.

Green text I will see if I can find a different color for this. or play with the background over lays to see if I cant get a better contrast.

Here's the next version

Played with adding a backlight type thing on some of the text, Edited the text to 1. correct the things pointed out, 2. consistant in the titles used.

Found a way to make subscripts in gimp. it involves making two text layers one for the normal script the other for the supscript. You have to play with the spacing and lay out a bit but it seems to work a bit.

Changed the "Fun house swirl" to a hazard patern. subsequently changed the oppacity of the label to fit better.

Lots of playing with the Detritis picture.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OCT Entry.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	453.9 KB 
ID:	17837  

Cool. Definitely going in the right direction. I have a few more suggestions for appearance and a few more spelling corrections (yes, I am a compulsive copy editor).

Upper course plot: "position" has one "s". (Two places)

Center bulletin: Remove extra letters from "battling", "operations". I also think the "Read More?" would look better if you distinguish its appearance in some way. If not actually made into a button, perhaps it could be given a glow or something?

Bottom galaxy: "Accretion" is the correct spelling. Also, I think exclamation points for this warning text would liven it up a little.

The composition could be improved. The galaxy seems crowded on the right side by the intruding text box. It looks like there is room to move the cargo information up a little to avoid cutting into the galaxy's personal space. In contrast, the rest of the galaxy has quite a gap above it. If this is dedicated space in the display for the central text box, I would extend the background for that box down. Otherwise, you've got some empty space that would probably be filled somehow. Ad banner? Fuel gauge? Software update availability notice? Stock market ticker?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

This is looking pretty good

Found another typo for ya ... "Acretian" in the center should be "accretion" assuming you mean it as in the accretion disc around a new star.

Guild Adept

Like the caution lines for the center better than the swirl. Can you adjust the angle slightly so it matches the plane that the galaxy is on? I'll leave the spelling errors to others to find.

I really like the map. Hope to see how it plays out.

Thanks a bunch guys I'll work on the sugestions... And thanks soooooo much for the spelling corrections. I usualy run things by my wife but here school and work take the majority of her time now adays.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast