Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Attempt at A Map.

Wip First Attempt at A Map.

I'm predominantly a writer, but dabble in art and decided to give a shot at drawing a map of the most recent setting I've written for.

This is my first attempt in photoshop, with an admittedly excessive use of shadows and glows.

I'd love to hear all ya'll's thoughts.

- Vin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	whitewaste.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	557  

Praise

Hi Venardhi

I really like the map. Are you planning to "busy" it up a bit? I personally dont think there is too much shadow or glow. Then again I probably get critted for using too much as well.

By the way is the man with the claw, emerging from the left of the land mass accidental, or his he deliberate. Hell, maybe its just too much coffee.

Welcome
    Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Professional Artist Facebook Connected kalmarjan's Avatar

Praise

What a great map! I do not think you used too much glow. And I like the white space in the map. If this would be a map of an unknown world, it's perfect. The only crit I can give is if it was an "unknown" land, maybe the coastlines could be a lot less cleaner.

A great map though, especially for someone who "just dabbles"

Sandeman
    What???? You mean there is NO MAGIC RENDER BUTTON!

Quote Originally Posted by Torq View Post
    Hi Venardhi

I really like the map. Are you planning to "busy" it up a bit? I personally dont think there is too much shadow or glow. Then again I probably get critted for using too much as well.

By the way is the man with the claw, emerging from the left of the land mass accidental, or his he deliberate. Hell, maybe its just too much coffee.
    I am trying to find a way to add sand dunes, mountains and some trees without making it look to messy, this is where those art skills are supposed to come in handy. . .

The human shape was accidental to start with actually, I was just free-drawing and the hand formed and then I realized the area above it completed the profile, "happy accident." as they say.

Quote Originally Posted by kalmarjan View Post
    What a great map! I do not think you used too much glow. And I like the white space in the map. If this would be a map of an unknown world, it's perfect. The only crit I can give is if it was an "unknown" land, maybe the coastlines could be a lot less cleaner.

A great map though, especially for someone who "just dabbles"

Sandeman
    It is a known land. It is kind of the ass end of the kingdom in my story. The 'wild west' of their world.

First off, Welcome to the community! That is a great "dabbling" map. Very clean and yet informative. The only nitpick I have is the coastline. It is just too black for my taste. If you could reduce that a bit, I think it would increase its aesthetics. As for dunes, mountains and trees with that style I think just some coloration would be all you need with maybe some spartan symbols, but I would have to see them applied before I gave the thumbs up. Great start and you've been repped.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

"Repped"? That some crazy newfangled cartographer slang?

Nope. If you look at the top right corner of a post you'll see a set of scales. Clicking that a window will appear. You can add a comment as to why you agree with the post or how much you like it. That increases that posters "rep power" so that when they rep someone they get slightly more rep. It is a way to give some quantification to the quality of a particular posters posts.

If you click the User CP link at the top left corner of the page you'll see a Reputation section which lists the various comments that people have made and a link to the post that earned you that rep.

.oO(I really need to make the above a sticky post...)
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Added a few features to the map, mostly practicing to find a style that suits the map.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	whitewaste.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	106.4 KB 
ID:	559  

Oh! Very nice! I love the hills and dunes. Question, are the Godsfeet supposed to be the same size as mountains? I get the impression that they are supposed to be the size of a mountain, but with the tips "kicked" off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast