Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Map (Overland)

Map First Map (Overland)

This is the first map I have *ever* made, aside from on paper. I have quite a bit of experience on photoshop, giving me a head start. My aim for this is both a functional map and a very pretty map.

THIS MAP IS NOT FINISHED YET!

Mostly I am testing the titling, light/heavy forrest, and mountain range. The dot is a town related to my campaign.

As a DM, I run very large worlds, and need to make tiles for the overland map, explaining "b1".

UPDATE: 8/5/07 Added river, lakes, and marsh.
    UPDATE: 8/5/07 Added towns, roads, more marsh, more lakes and rivers.

http://www.flowdesigns.org/dndmapping/map.jpg
    Last edited by energizerrabbit; 08-06-2007 at 05:25 PM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Praise

This is showing some definite promise! I'm really liking the lettering and the border/paper background...very nice. I really don't have any complaints at all
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Default I Like Your Style

I am looking forward to seeing where you go with this map.
    "Rationality is the recognition of the fact that nothing can alter the truth and nothing can take precedence over that act of perceiving it."

Atlas Shrugged authored by Ayn Rand

Thank you guys very much for your support.

If anyone has any suggestions, please say them! Thanks.

Hey, rabbit: Looking great, just great. Where did you get that parchment? I like it!

I am not fond of the mountain edges: they are too "fluffy" & therefore ruin the rocky effect. I also am not sure about the dual color of the forest--mainly because I can't see the purpose for it, and therefore it's more distracting than interesting to me.

Overall though, these two criticisms are just things to think about. I think this map is off to a stellar start! Keep going!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Quote Originally Posted by pyrandon View Post
    Where did you get that parchment?
    LINK However, I did quite a lot of editing to achieve the final look.

I am not fond of the mountain edges: they are too "fluffy" & therefore ruin the rocky effect. I also am not sure about the dual color of the forest--mainly because I can't see the purpose for it, and therefore it's more distracting than interesting to me.
    What do you mean about the mountains, can you explain that further? When GM-ing, I use light and heavy forrest, each effecting movement and encounters.

Thanks a ton for your comments!

Quote Originally Posted by energizerrabbit View Post
    What do you mean about the mountains, can you explain that further? When GM-ing, I use light and heavy forrest, each effecting movement and encounters.
    Ahh...I see the light/dark connection. I would still cut the color difference somewhat, but that's my preference.

By the mountains I mean the edges look much like the forest edges: the edges are created by little circles jutting & looping out. Works great for "soft" features like trees, but for rocks & mountains I would think more jagged edges and such would be appropriate for the mood. Of course, this is just for cartographic visual representation since mountains themselves do not simply "end" in either jagged or flowing lines, but meld into the landscape, but hopefully you get the idea.

Looking great!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Ahh...I see the light/dark connection. I would still cut the color difference somewhat, but that's my preference.
    I cut it down, and thank you for your suggestion.

mountains I would think more jagged edges and such would be appropriate for the mood.
    I made them more "triangular", still look kinda fuzzy, but the complete jagged edges looked bad when I tried it. Thanks for your suggestion, it helped.

UPDATE: 8/5/07
    http://www.flowdesigns.org/dndmapping/map.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast