Thread: Don't know where to go - I'm new

Post Don't know where to go - I'm new

Hey fellows; mighty map-creators! (I'm still trying to find my way around the forums, so if this needs to be replaced, I'm sorry)

I stumbled upon this forum whilst searching for ways to better my own (sadly insufficient) skills in photoshop. I draw all my maps in Gimp 2.6 or ms paint and my question now to you all is;

Are there any good tutorials here for creating maps in photoshop?
    (and don't worry. I won't bombard you with irritating requests like "lol can anyone make my maps in photoshop for me?" and such)

Anyways, it's nice to be here and the stuff I've seen here so far is just... awesome

Welcome to the guild Aenigma.
    I moved your post to the subforum "Member introductions"

As for good Photoshop tutorials: we have several, just browse around in the Tutorials subforum or use the search function.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Welcome, we prefer for people to have a go themselves but there is a section for map requests too. Usually these are for larger projects like books or posters etc and often have a commission but there are unpaid ones too.

Try out various tutorial threads and see how you get on. I find it amazing that people new to this try them out and get similar looking maps to the reference ones. You can usually tell what tutorial they have tried on a map. So they do work most of the time and theres lots of people on hand to get over any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Welcome, we prefer for people to have a go themselves but there is a section for map requests too. Usually these are for larger projects like books or posters etc and often have a commission but there are unpaid ones too.

Try out various tutorial threads and see how you get on. I find it amazing that people new to this try them out and get similar looking maps to the reference ones. You can usually tell what tutorial they have tried on a map. So they do work most of the time and theres lots of people on hand to get over any problems.
    Thanks, everyone! (and thanks for moving this thread to where it belongs ;P)

The map I've created in paint and gimp (I've made about a hundred or so maps in paint) is for a serious and huge project that I've planned for almost three years now. I've begun writing the story and I hope to be able to be accepted to the University of Lund, study about being an author and then release the first book when i'm done there (the course I wanna go allows you to release the book you wrote via a publisher that cooperates with the school as I have learnt)

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave