Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WIP - Continental map

Eeeew. No really... Eeeew!

(edit by Gandwarf: this comment was directed at a now deleted post, not at the map :-)

Yow! I've been edited. The map is nice.
    Last edited by su_liam; 10-23-2009 at 04:01 AM.

Greetings once again.

During past few days some changes occurred with this map. I've used some patterns taken from this forum, and tried to establish mountains. Here I got two versions of my map, and would be glad to hear constructive comments/critiques about it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DA4.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	458.8 KB 
ID:	17946
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DA42.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	427.6 KB 
ID:	17947
    I have spoken. Any comments?

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

I largely prefer the more whitely-colored mountains over the brown ones, except on the mountains at the mouth of that massive inlet in the south and on the bit of coast on the western peninsula that hangs down into the sea. In those areas something goes wrong with the beveling appearance that the brown mountains appears to hide.

It's hard to judge based on there not being a scale yet, but the delta on the river to south still looks super-abnormal-huge. It looks, from this map, like it's probably several hundreds of miles across, which is much larger than even the largest deltas in the real world.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like them both, though I find the highlights on the second map a bit 'bright' (especially the ones Karro pointed out).

What I am not a big fan of is the texture used for the 'grass'. I've used that texture myself and it is a good one but for me it's a little much for the scale of map. You might try scaling it down some or not.

Overall though this is coming along quite nicely.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm liking the brown mountains as I'm with SG on the brightness thing.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Okay... so opinions has divided. So I still need to play with mountain patterns, or, maybe, even combine some of those. The problem of second version is that the texture I taken was covered by rock image only halfly. Other part of it was white. I thought it might be a good experience to use such irregular pattern, but recieved the white part issue. Still, excepting few locations mentioned earlier, personally I prefer the second version.

The reason I've taken this specific grass texture was
    a) small size of the continent;
    b) patterns such as swamps were also quite detailed;
    so I resized both textures in approximatly same level of detalisation.
    I have spoken. Any comments?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12