Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Map- Map of Lakeshire

Map 2nd Map- Map of Lakeshire

Here is my second finished map. I've changed some of my techniques from the last map I made, especially the buildings. Some of the stuff is from video tutorials by Butch Curry. It was made in Photoshop CS4. Feel free to give constructive criticism.

Info on the Town of Lakehire:
    Lakshire is a town full of people that love Lake Fairwind. There are people on the lake everyday. It is a well known port. Lakeside is mostly residential. East Lakeshire has a small amount of houses. There is no wall around the town because the nearest threat of danger would have to go through alot of defenses before it got to the main region that Lakeshire is in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lakeshire Map.jpg 
Views:	371 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	17839  
    Eabrek23

-"All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us."-
    -J.R.R. Tolkien-

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The buildings are cool. Now ya just gotta make the forest look like that.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Like what??
    Eabrek23

-J.R.R. Tolkien-

Post Bevel the trees, he means!

Quote Originally Posted by eabrek23 View Post
    Like what??
    As in you did nice bevels on your buildings to show the rooflines with shading which is made distinct by your line work.

Now create shapes for each individual tree and apply a bevel to those shapes, so now your trees will have a depth effect beneath its linework - understand?

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Praise

i think the trees look great! they could look better if they were individually shaded, but sometimes a wash of colour does the trick...

i would go either way... it all depends on how much work you want to put into a map...

phil

It looks weird and doesnt really credit to it being a hand drawn style map.
    Eabrek23

-J.R.R. Tolkien-

Hmm, I was experimenting with the lake and came up with this. All I did was select the lake lines, and then render those blue colored clouds, then faded it in some areas. Which one do you guys think is better?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lakeshire Map 2.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	17842  
    Eabrek23

-J.R.R. Tolkien-

I would say the second map (the first in this thread). The change of colors makes it look almost like a watercolor.

About the trees, while I suck completely with photoshop (you have no idea, I don't know much past opening the program), I would say darken the tree color slightly. The current color almost looks neon.

However, I do love this map (and thanks for how you got it, the tutorials look like they might help since they're videos).

Yah I think you are right about the trees. So you're saying that the map in the very first post of this thread looks better than the second posted map in this thread? Cause if you are, I agree with you, I just wanted to see what it would look like.
    As for the tutorial vids, yah they are great. I didnt know much about PS when I found them at first. Just go to youtube and type in 'Fantasy Cartography with Adobe Photoshop #' Theres 12 episodes for the types of maps I showed, and then there's 6 or 7 on more zoomed out maps like. I'm gonna try one of the zoomed out maps once I finally get over this cold.
    Eabrek23

-J.R.R. Tolkien-

Quote Originally Posted by eabrek23 View Post
    Yah I think you are right about the trees. So you're saying that the map in the very first post of this thread looks better than the second posted map in this thread?

I'm gonna try one of the zoomed out maps once I finally get over this cold.
    Yes, I do think the first map in this thread is better, and as soon as I have gotten over my cold, I will also begin working on a map and watching those videos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast