Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: hey there

haha oh dear, I went to put in my location and misstyped...that's what you get for typing to do anything with numbers when you have a head cold.

Thank you so much for the warm welcome! The tutorials have been great, I have started re-working my map...its big so a lot of work but its fun. My damn tablet gave out on me 2 days ago tho and mouse is no fun haha. Now I'm impatient for my replacement to arrive.

Well, back to waiting for the mail man...
    Jessica

Blog Entries

No worries, I fixed up your position so your down in sunny Adelade again instead of off the coast of Japan... It seems all the Aussies are a bit spread out along the coast so nobody right close and local just yet.

Blog Entries

I don't understand that member map thing at all... do I REALLY need to look up my town's longtitude and latitude before I can add myself? :s

I can't just like... click on it?
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nope, you have to look it up. A quick Google search should give you the coordinates.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Tut tut... a cartographer complaining about the difficulty in using long and lat - that will never do

But yeah get google maps out or some other map site, browse to place and get the coords off of that.

Take google maps, get to the white house, washington DC and click on the "Link" link in the top right. It highlights the link for this:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...04823&t=h&z=18
    Code:
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=38.889885,-77.009021&spn=0.00301,0.004823&t=h&z=18
    and you can see the "ll=" bit which is the lat long. So stick in 38.89 into lat and -77.01 in long and your at the whitehouse on the map.

Maybe I should have a box on the page where you just paste the whole google link in and it strips out the lat long from it.

Blog Entries

Thanks for that walkthrough Redrobes, I've added myself now. I remember looking at that page months ago and seeing how awkward it was to add myself I just closed it again - I wonder how many others are put off by it?
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    No worries, I fixed up your position so your down in sunny Adelade again instead of off the coast of Japan... It seems all the Aussies are a bit spread out along the coast so nobody right close and local just yet.
    RedRobes> Welcome to the defining trait of Australia. HUGE chunk of land, everyone basically lives within 50km of the Eastern Coast around to about Adelaide on the Southern Coast... and then you whack Perth on the west and give the rest of the continent to whatever can survive. "Right Close & Local" is "within 30min drive".
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

haha and that's REAL close...when aussies find out they are talking to another aussie its "OMG your in the same state?! wow!"
    Glad there are some aussies tho, don't meet too many on interest sites...

oh and a quick question...I have a question to put to everyone about the way something could work in a world (land formation, water behavior etc) should i post it in the general forum or under my world map thread in the map forum? It's not really specific to my map, so wasn't sure...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast